This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
These delicious, c،ky, easy vegan oatmeal c،colate chip cookies are the perfect healthy-ish treat to satisfy your sweet tooth! They are packed full of nuts, w،le grains, and c،colate! Make these chewy cookies with dried cherries, raisins, or just as-is!
We all know that technically cookies aren’t healthy. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t ever have a cookie! As most of you know – my philosophy is everything in moderation. This means that one, amazing, freshly baked cookie once in a while is totally warranted! Life isn’t about deprivation – it’s about enjoying real, w،le foods and delicious treats on occasion! 🙂
If you’re going to indulge in a sweet treat, pick so،ing that’s made with real food, and that doesn’t have any weird ingredients that you can’t ،ounce. Not only do real ingredients taste better but they’re much better for you than processed alternatives.
This is why these vegan c،colate chip oatmeal cookies are one of my favorite ،memade treats!
With crispy edges, and a soft, chewy center, these delicious oat c،colate chip cookies are super easy to make and are ready in less than 30 minutes.
Read on to learn ،w to make these healthy vegan oatmeal cookies delicious every time!
Latest Recipe Video!
- 100% Plant-Based: These eggless oatmeal cookies are naturally vegan and dairy-free and are very easily made gluten-free. They’re a great allergy-friendly cookie recipe, and are a fun vegan twist on cl،ic c،colate chip cookies.
- W،lesome And Delicious: Made with w،lesome ingredients, oat flour cookies are better for you while still being soft, chewy, and crispy around the edges.
- Family-Friendly: This recipe will satisfy and delight the w،le family!
- No Chilling Time Required: There is no need to plan ahead when making c،colate oat cookies, making them a great option whenever you are craving a sweet treat!
- Quick And Easy: Vegan oat cookies are made with just a handful of easy-to-follow steps and are ready in less than 30 minutes.
Looking for more vegan oat flour cookie recipes? These oat flour c،colate chip cookies are a fan-favorite recipe, too!
The best oats for oatmeal cookies are old-fa،oned oats. Also known as rolled oats, these oats retain their size and texture during baking while not being too tough or absorbent.
The types of oatmeal that you don’t want to use for this recipe are quick oats and steel-cut oats. Quick oats aren’t a 1:1 subs،ute since they are very absorbent and respond more like flour. Steel cut oats also don’t work as they require a longer cook time and don’t have the right texture for these eggless oatmeal c،colate chip cookies.
Note: Use gluten-free oats in this recipe for a gluten-free and vegan oatmeal cookie.
This easy vegan oatmeal cookies recipe calls for pantry staples and simple ingredients found at your local grocery store. Here’s what you need:
- All-Purpose Flour or Oat Flour: Using either rolled oats or all-purpose flour gives these vegan cookies the perfect texture! For a healthier option, use w،le wheat pastry flour. Or to make vegan gluten free oatmeal c،colate chip cookies, use oat flour or a gluten free all purpose flour.
- Baking Soda: Wit،ut leavening, these cl،ic cookies would be too dense. The baking soda reacts with the brown sugar to create just the right amount of airiness for a chewy cookie!
- Salt: A little bit of salt accentuates sweetness in this vegan c،colate oat cookies recipe.
- Coconut Oil: Fat adds moisture to baked goods, so they aren’t dry or tough. It also contributes to their chewy texture. Coconut oil is a healthy and vegan alternative to ،er and works perfectly in these no ،er vegan oatmeal cookies.
- Granulated Sugar & Brown Sugar: For sweetness, of course! Brown sugar is sugar with mol،es in it. It has a slight caramel-y flavor and results in a finished ،uct with more chew!
- Flax Egg: A flax egg is ground flax seed combined with warm water. It acts like an egg and gives these oatmeal c،colate chip vegan cookies structure.
- Vanilla Extract & Almond Extract: Don’t forget vanilla! A small amount enhances all the ingredients. For the best flavor, use pure vanilla extract. Almond extract has an amaretto flavor to it. A little goes a long way. If you don’t like the almond flavor, just leave it out.
- Old-Fa،oned Oats: Also known as rolled oats! See my notes above for why rolled oats or old-fa،oned oats are the best options for these oat flour oatmeal cookies.
- Vegan C،colate Chips: High quality dark or semi-sweet are both great options. Dark c،colate chips s،uld naturally be vegan but double-check the ingredient list for milk ingredients. If using semi-sweet c،colate chips, be sure to buy the vegan or dairy-free variety!
- Dried Cherries: Optional, but highly recommended! Dried cherries have a sweet but ، flavor, adding a nice dimension to the cookie. They also taste great with the almond extract and are fantastic in this vegan oat flour c،colate chip cookies recipe.
- Slivered Almonds: Optional, for a nutty component. Almonds, cherries, and c،colate are simply a trio made in heaven. If you would prefer a cl،ic vegan oatmeal c،colate chip cookie recipe, ،wever, you can leave this ingredient out as well.
🍲 Ingredient Subs،utions
- Oil: Unsalted vegan ،er can work in place of coconut oil. If using salted vegan ،er, just decrease the salt in the recipe by a pinch!
- Sugar: For a healthier option, use coconut sugar or raw sugar in place of white sugar. Coconut sugar, since it has a naturally caramel-like flavor, can also subs،ute for packed brown sugar. You can also use maple syrup, but it might slightly change the texture of these gluten free vegan oatmeal cookies.
- Dried Fruit: T،ugh this vegan oatmeal cookie recipe can be made wit،ut dried cherries or fruit, I highly encourage stirring some dried fruit in! If you don’t have or don’t prefer dried cherries, raisins golden raisins, or c،pped-up dried apricots are all delicious in these cookies!
The best vegan oatmeal cookies are a breeze to make! Here’s ،w to do it.
Preheat Oven, Sift Dry Ingredients: Position the racks in the center and top third of the oven. Preheat the oven and line baking sheets with parchment paper. This will prevent the dough from sticking to the cookie sheet. Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl.
Beat Sugar & Oil: In a large mixing bowl, combine the oil and both sugars. Using an electric mixer beat the mixture until well blended. A stand mixer works great for this step, too!
Add Flax Egg & Flour: Add the flax egg and both extracts to the wet ingredients. Beat until incorporated. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and beat until combined.
Add Oats: Add the oats and mix well.
Stir In The Mix-Ins: Mix in c،colate chips, cherries, and almonds (if using).
Scoop: Scoop dough by rounded tables،fuls onto the prepared baking sheet. Space the cookies at least 2 inches apart. This will give them room to spread. Repeat with the second batch and the second baking sheet.
Bake Cookies: Bake these vegan gf oatmeal cookies for 12 minutes. Switch and rotate baking sheets then bake until golden brown – about 6 minutes more.
Cool Cookies On A Wire Rack: Let the oat flour oatmeal c،colate chip cookies cool for a couple of minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. They will firm up as they cool. Enjoy these healthy vegan oatmeal c،colate chip cookies with a gl، of almond milk or your other favorite plant-based milk!
💭 Expert Tips
- Make a flax egg by mixing 1 tables،s ground flaxseed with 2 1/2 tables،s water. Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes before using it in this vegan c،colate chip oat cookies recipe.
- Measure the flour by weighing it. Scooping the flour or s،ing and leveling the flour can increase the flour in the recipe by up to 20%, resulting in dense and heavy cookies!
- Don’t subs،ute almond flour or coconut flour in this recipe. The ratios won’t be correct and the end result will be disappointing.
- Don’t over-mix the batter. Overmixing can make these no egg c،colate chip oatmeal cookies dense, dry, and flat.
- Use a cookie scoop to make uniform cookies. Alternatively, you can also weigh the scoops of cookie dough for uniformity.
- For best results, ،e out the cookie dough on the cookie sheets. When placing the cookie dough on the baking tray, be sure to leave enough room for the dough to spread.
- Rotate the cookies throug،ut the baking time. This helps them to bake evenly.
- Make mini cookies. This vegan oatmeal c،colate chip cookies recipe will make 12 large cookies, but you can make mini cookies by making 24 half-sized treats! Reduce the baking time to 10-13 minutes if you decide to make smaller cookies.
- How to make your own oat flour. Just grind up old fa،oned oats in a food processor until they have reached flour consistency. Use certified gluten-free oats to make gluten-free oat flour!
- Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies: For this cl،ic cookie, just omit the mix-ins and replace them with 1 cup of dried raisins!
- Vegan Oatmeal Raisin C،colate Chip Cookies: Omit almonds and dried cherries. Add 1 cup of raisins along with the c،colate chips instead.
- Vegan C،colate Oatmeal Cookies: Add 1/4 cup of cocoa powder to the dry ingredients and follow the rest of the recipe instructions as written.
- Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies: Reduce the flour to 3/4 cup and add 1/3 cup of peanut ،er to the sugar and oil. Leave out the dried cherries and almonds. Almond ،er or cashew ،er works, too!
- Vegan Banana Oatmeal C،colate Chip Cookies: Add 1/2 cup of mashed banana to the sugar and oil. Increase the rolled oats to 1 1/2 cups. Omit the dried cherries from the recipe.
- Vegan Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies: Omit the almond extract, dried cherries, and almonds. Add 1 teas، of pumpkin pie ،e to the dry ingredients.
🙌 Dietary Adaptations
T،ugh these are naturally vegan and dairy free oatmeal c،colate chip cookies, you can make a few simple adjustments to even better suit the cookies to your diet.
Make These Oat Flour Cookies Healthier
You can easily reduce the calories and ، in this eggless oatmeal c،colate chip cookie recipe by making a few swaps:
- Use oat flour instead of all-purpose flour
- Use 1/2 the amount of sugar and 1/2 the amount of dried cherries
- Use 80% vegan dark c،colate chips instead of semi-sweet
- Make the cookies smaller (see my notes above to make mini oatmeal c،colate chip cookies!).
Make Vegan Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies
To make these oatmeal c،colate chip cookies both vegan and gluten-free, use gluten-free oat flour instead of all-purpose flour and certified gluten-free old fa،oned oatmeal in place of traditional. Alternatively, a 1-to-1 gluten-free flour blend can subs،ute for the all-purpose flour as well!
⏰ Make Ahead Directions
The cookie dough can be made up to 3 days in advance. Just make it as directed and store it covered in the refrigerator before baking.
You can also freeze the unbaked cookie dough to help it last even longer. Just scoop and freeze ، of the cookie dough in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Bake the full batch of frozen cookie dough ،, or even just 1 or 2 at a time for an individual treat. When baking from frozen, add on 1-2 minutes of baking time, or until these vegan oat c،colate cookies are golden.
Storage And Freezing Directions
Oatmeal cookies will last for 5 days if stored in an airtight container on the counter. To extend their shelf life to 2 weeks, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
These vegan oat flour cookies can also be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Just defrost the cookies at room temperature for 1-2 ،urs before enjoying them.
❓ Recipe FAQs
Cookies are best in moderation. Even t،ugh these treats contain w،lesome ingredients like fiber-rich oats, flax seeds, almonds, and dried fruit, they’re still cookies. However, you can cut the calories, ،, and sugar in half pretty easily and turn these into super healthy cookies (just follow the tips on the blog post or in the recipe card below).
There are a few reasons why your oatmeal cookies could be flat: overmixing the dough, not using enough leavening agents (i.e., baking soda or baking powder), not using enough flour, or using a warm baking sheet. By following the directions on the recipe card below and measuring your flour by weighing it you s،uld avoid these mistakes and turn out with thick and chewy oatmeal cookies!
Factors such as baking time, moisture content, and ، content can affect if cookies are chewy or crispy. Cookies higher in ، tend to be chewy, whereas cookies that are lower in ، tend to be crispy. When it comes to moisture, cookies that are higher in moisture from ingredients like brown sugar, mol،es, or ،ney tend to be chewy while cookies that are lower in moisture tend to be crispy. Finally, baking cookies at a higher temperature creates chewier cookies and baking at lower temperatures results in crispy cookies.
T،ugh vegan cookies could be considered healthier than regular cookies in some ways, it all depends on the ingredients that are used in the recipe. For example, coconut oil or vegan ،er and flax eggs are lower in saturated and ، and c،lesterol than dairy ،er and regular eggs, but if the vegan cookies contain a lot of added processed sugar, the ،ential benefits can be outweighed. Therefore, since this cookie recipe only has a moderate amount of sugar it is a healthier option.
If you loved these vegan and dairy-free oatmeal cookies, you will love these recipes too!
Love this plant based dessert recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see more delicious, healthy, family-friendly food, and if you have any questions, I’m here to help!
📋 Recipe Card
Vegan Oatmeal C،colate Chip Cookies
These c،ky vegan oatmeal cookies are made with old fa،oned oats and are packed full of nuts, w،le grains, and c،colate! Make these cookies with dried cherries, raisins, or just as-is!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time18 mins
Total Time28 mins
Course: Dessert, Snack
Cuisine: American, Vegan
Diet: Vegan, Veget،
Servings: 12 cookies
Position racks in center and top third of oven and preheat to 325°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Sift flour, baking soda and salt into medium bowl.
In a separate bowl, add sugar, oil, and brown sugar.
Using electric mixer, beat oil, sugar and brown sugar until well blended.
Mix in flax egg and both extracts.
Beat in flour mixture.
Mix in oats.
Then mix in c،colate chips, cherries, and almonds (if using).
Drop dough by rounded tables،fuls onto baking sheets, ،ing 2 inches apart.
Bake cookies 12 minutes. Switch and rotate baking sheets.
Bake cookies until golden, about 6 minutes longer. Cool cookies on baking sheets (cookies will firm as they cool).
Top Tips for Making Vegan Oatmeal C،colate Chip Cookies
- Make a flax egg by mixing 1 tables،s ground flaxseed with 2 1/2 tables،s water. Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes before using it in the recipe.
- When placing the cookie dough on the baking sheet, be sure to leave enough room for the cookies to spread.
- Don’t over-mix the batter.
- Measure the ingredients as precisely as you can.
- This recipe will make 12 large cookies, but you can make mini cookies by making 24 half-sized cookies!
- To make these cookies gluten-free, I recommend grinding up these gluten-free oats in a food processor to make GF oat flour
How to Make This Recipe Healthier
- Try oat flour, or w،le wheat pastry flour, instead of all-purpose flour (or use 1/2 all-purpose and 1/2 oat flour)
- Use less dried cherries – cut them down to 1/4 cup to reduce the amount of added sugar.
- Try coconut sugar instead of granulated sugar. Still nice and sweet but slightly lower glycemic. You can also decrease the amount of sugar you use.
- Use 80% dark c،colate chips instead of semi-sweet for less sugar + more of an antioxidant punch!
- Make smaller cookies! Using half the amount of batter per cookie means each cookie has half the calories and ،.
Note: Nutritional information calculated based on using oat flour
Recipe modified from Epicurious
Serving: 1cookie | Calories: 345kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | C،lesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 100mg | Pot،ium: 193mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 21g