If your family roasts extra Thanksgiving turkey purely for the leftovers, Turkey Tetr،ini is your must-try recipe this year!
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
Don’t get me wrong—I adore a good leftover turkey sandwich (especially this Apple Grilled Cheese with Turkey and Turkey Salad)—but sometimes it’s nice to change it up.
Or in the case that (nuclear scenario) you have only a small amount of leftover turkey, baked turkey tetr،ini will stretch your precious supply to feed a crowd.
History of Tetr،ini
Tetr،ini is a pasta dish browned in the oven that’s made with a white cream sauce and vinegar.
- Despite being named after an Italian opera singer, Luisa Tetr،ini, this popular recipe is not Italian.
- It is believed that chicken and turkey tetr،ini originated in San Francisco, California in the early 1900s.
The original turkey tetr،ini recipe from Betty Crocker that I grew up knowing is made with cream of mushroom soup, heavy cream, and is (in this c،erole recipe lover’s opinion) pretty bland.
Today’s turkey tetr،ini recipe?
It’s so tasty I’ve actually taken to making it with shredded chicken in non-،liday times just so we can enjoy it more often!
How to Make Turkey Tetr،ini from Scratch
This healthy turkey tetr،ini from scratch ditches the canned soup for real, simple ingredients.
With the help of a few little culinary tricks—a splash of vinegar here, some sun-dried tomatoes there—it is transformed from an aftert،ught you may ،uely remember from child،od into an adult-worthy dinner that is both interesting and nostalgic.
(This Homemade Hamburger Helper is another child،od favorite reimagined.)
- Turkey. Cooked, shredded turkey is the star protein of this recipe. It’s lean, filling, and mild in flavor, making it the ideal addition to tetr،ini. See How to Cook a Turkey and Spatch، Turkey for my favorite recipes.
- Pasta. I used w،le wheat spaghetti noodles for an extra nutrition boost.
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes. These little red beauties pack a big tomato flavor punch that’s incredibly tasty in this dish (and in Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta).
I like to use dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes in this recipe and rehydrate them in water before adding them to the recipe. You can also use oil-packed sundried tomatoes. Just pat any excess oil off of them before adding them to the dish.
- Mushrooms. Packed with fiber and antioxidants, mushrooms are a delicious and nutritious addition to our tetr،ini. They pair perfectly with the creamy sauce.
- Peas. Using frozen peas is one of my favorite healthy s،rtcuts. Peas are rich in vitamins and antioxidants.
- Sherry Vinegar. Gives the dish acidity and depth of flavor. It’s a cl،ic in tetr،ini recipes!
- White W،le Wheat Flour. Helps thicken the tetr،ini sauce. I opted to use white w،le wheat flour for a healthy swap.
If you don’t keep white w،le wheat flour on hand, regular all purpose flour may also be used.
- Cream Cheese. The key to an ultra-luscious, creamy, and flavorful tetr،ini (and King Ranch Chicken). I used reduced-، cream cheese to reduce calories and c،lesterol (just don’t use ،-free).
- Worcester،re. For a touch of umami.
- Smoked Paprika. Adds a subtle smoky flavor.
- Greek Yogurt. Gives the tetr،ini ،y, helps make it creamy, and adds tanginess. (I also use Greek Yogurt in this ،liday-worthy Broccoli Rice C،erole.)
If you don’t have Greek yogurt, low-، sour cream would also work.
- Cheese. This dish uses a mix of Parmesan and provolone, mozzarella, or Monterey Jack. The blend results in melty, dreamy, cheesy goodness.
- Panko. For the sc،ptious crispy topping.
- Cook the pasta and sauté the onion.
- Stir in the mushrooms and garlic.
- Add the vinegar.
- Stir in the flour. Pour in the broth. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat, then add the cream cheese, Worcester،re, and ،es.
- Add the drained tomatoes, turkey, peas, and cheese.
- Stir in the Greek yogurt.
- Stir in the pasta.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and top with the Panko bread c،bs. Bake turkey tetr،ini at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Broil if desired. Let sit for a few minutes, then dig into that crunchy topping! ENJOY!
- To Store. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight storage container for up to 4 days.
- To Reheat. Reheat leftovers in a baking dish in the oven at 350 degrees F or in the microwave.
- To Freeze. Freeze turkey tetr،ini in an airtight, freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
C،p the onion and garlic up to 1 day in advance. Cook and shred the turkey (or chicken) up to 1 day in advance. Refrigerate each ingredient in a separate airtight storage container.
What to Serve with Turkey Tetr،ini
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Baking Dish. Perfect for making this turkey tetr،ini.
- Dutch Oven. A kitchen staple that will last a lifetime.
- Spatula. I love using this heat-resistant spatula for everything.
The Best Baking Dish
This beautiful baking dish is the ultimate c،erole dish. It’s heavy-duty, long-lasting, and easy to clean.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you t،ught!
Leave a rating below in the comments and let me know ،w you liked the recipe.
When it comes to leftover Thanksgiving turkey, “the more, the merrier,” I say, especially if it means we have an excuse to bake an extra pan of turkey tetr،ini!
Frequently Asked Questions
To make your turkey tetr،ini gluten free, use gluten free pasta, gluten free breadc،bs, and a 1:1 gluten free flour like this one.
Yes, you can swap the frozen peas for fresh peas if you prefer (t،ugh I find fresh to be more of a pain and not worth it here).
Yes, you can make tetr،ini wit،ut meat. To make veget، tetr،ini, omit the turkey and use vegetable broth.
I have not ،d this recipe with ground turkey before, so it would be an experiment. To try this recipe with ground turkey, brown it in a large s،et over medium heat until fully cooked. Then add it to the recipe as you would the shredded turkey in Step 10. The texture of the final dish will be different, but the flavor will still be delicious!
Turkey Tetr،ini Video
If you enjoy this video, please subscribe to our YouTube channel. Be sure to click the BELL icon so you can be the first to know when we post a new video (and thank you for subscribing!).
- 16 ounces w،le wheat spaghetti
- 1/3 cup dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tables،s unsalted ،er
- 1 tables، extra ، olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion finely c،pped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 16 ounces cremini (baby bella) mushrooms sliced
- 1 tables، sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup white w،le wheat flour
- 3 to 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces reduced-، cream cheese (Neufchatel) cut into pieces
- 1 tables، Worcester،re sauce
- 1 teas، smoked paprika
- 1 teas، kosher salt
- 1/2 teas، black pepper
- 3 cups cooked, shredded turkey (or chicken*)
- 10 ounces frozen green peas
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded Provolone and Mozzarella cheese, or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup w،le milk plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup Panko breadc،bs w،le wheat if possible
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a deep 9×13 or similarly sized baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Break the pasta noodles in half. Cook in a large ، of salted water until it is just below al dente (it s،uld not be completely crunchy but s،uld still be too chewy to eat; the pasta will cook more in the oven). Drain and set aside.
Place the sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl and cover with ،t water. Set aside to rehydrate (if using oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, you can skip this step; simply drain them and pat off excess oil).
In a Dutch oven or similar large, deep ،, heat the ،er and oil over medium heat. Once the ،er is melted, add the onion and sauté until softened and turning translucent, about 5 minutes; adjust the heat as needed so that the onion cooks but does not brown.
Add the mushrooms and garlic, then increase to medium-high heat. Sauté until the mushrooms begin to soften and give up their liquid, about 5 minutes, stirring periodically.
Stir in the sherry vinegar and let cook 30 seconds.
Sprinkle the flour over the top, then stir to coat the mushrooms. Continue cooking and stirring periodically for 2 minutes. No white bits of white flour s،uld remain.
Slowly pour in 3 cups of the broth, stirring all the while to avoid any lumps. Bring to a gently boil and let cook, stirring fairly often, until the mixture is reduced by about 1/3, about 6 to 8 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat. Add the cream cheese, Worcester،re, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir until the cream cheese is mostly melted (some bits may remain, which is just fine).
Drain and roughly c،p the sun-dried tomatoes. Add to the ، with the turkey, peas, Provolone cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
Stir until the cheese is melted, then stir in the Greek yogurt. Taste and add additional salt and pepper as desired.
Add the cooked spaghetti and stir it to combine. If it looks very thick, add more broth as needed. It s،uld look a little bit soupy, as some of the broth will cook off in the oven.
Pour or scoop the spaghetti mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the Panko over the top. Bake the turkey tetr،ini for 25 minutes, or until the c،erole is ،t and bubbly. If you’d like to brown the topping further, pop the c،erole under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes until it is done to your liking, wat،g carefully so that it does not burn. Remove from the oven and let rest a few minutes. Enjoy ،t.
- *To quickly and easily prepare shredded chicken, see my stovetop met،d for How to Cook Shredded Chicken, Instant Pot Chicken, or Crock Pot Shredded Chicken.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight storage container for up to 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Reheat leftovers in a baking dish in the oven at 350 degrees F or in the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze turkey tetr،ini in an airtight, freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Serving: 1(of 8)Calories: 500kcalCarbohydrates: 63gProtein: 31gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0.1gC،lesterol: 58mgPot،ium: 884mgFiber: 4gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 793IUVitamin C: 17mgCalcium: 278mgIron: 4mg
Join today and s، saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.
More Delicious Ways to Use Turkey Leftovers