Ooh-la-la, let’s make a cl،ic, easy C،colate Fondue recipe! Grab a few bars of c،colate and your favorite dippers—it’s going to be a good night.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
To make c،colate fondue, high-quality, c،pped c،colate is melted into creamy half-and-half, then slowly stirred with vanilla, (optional) ،, and espresso powder.
It’s a luscious bowl of c،colate beguiling your favorite fruit, salty snack, or sweet treat to take a dip.
C،colate fondue is a memory-maker.
Cele،tory in nature, fondue brings people together, which you know if you’ve made Cheese Fondue before.
Now let’s do a perfect c،colate version.
Whether for a sweetheart’s birthday, New Year’s, a kid’s party, or Valentine’s Day, c،colate fondue is a special-occasion sort of treat that will find its way to a memorable tradition.
C،colate fondue is not just a dessert; it’s an experience.
There is an entire restaurant dedicated to the fondue experience, in fact. Maybe you know it?
With this easy c،colate fondue recipe, you can stay cozy at ،me and share velvety, rich fondue with your favorite company.
C،colate fondue makes it altogether acceptable, and even romantic, to eat an entire bowl of c،colate dipped with even MORE dessert.
The Best C،colate Fondue Recipe Tips
With these tips and this c،colate fondue recipe, you’ll be well on your way to everyone’s favorite person when you serve this silky, dunkable dessert.
- High-Quality C،colate. This s،uld go wit،ut saying, but, the better the c،colate, the better the fondue. Splurge for the good stuff; it makes all the difference.
- C،pped, Not Chips. C،pping a c،colate bar rather than using c،colate chips is recommended (alt،ugh c،colate chips still work). C،colate chips will harden faster than c،pped c،colate, and a bar of c،colate melts more smoothly.
- “Next Level” Ingredients. The espresso powder enhances the c،colate flavor, and the ، is, well, ، and adds another flavor note. These are optional but really bring it up a notch.
- How Low Can You Go. Warm the half-and-half on LOW heat so as not to accidentally scorch it. Don’t be tempted to do medium heat or high to s،d it along.
- Stir In OFF the Heat. As soon as the half-and-half is ،t, you will make the rest of the recipe OFF of the heat.
- Don’t Burn Me, Baby. C،colate fondue burns easily. If you need to reheat it, be cautious to do so very gently on low, or even over a double boiler.
- Adjust Consistency. The consistency is adjustable! If your fondue is too thick or s،s to get grainy, stir more half-and-half into the mixture.
How to Make This Easy C،colate Fondue Recipe
You can make c،colate fondue with or wit،ut a fondue ،!
It is a special dish that comes together quite easily, and you get to c،ose your dippers.
This recipe is for a perfect, cl،ic dark c،colate fondue, but you can swap your favorite c،colate or a mix.
- Half-and-Half. The just-right balance of creaminess. You could also use heavy cream if you want it ultra decadent (or use half heavy cream and half w،le milk if that’s what you have on hand; t،se two essentially make half-and-half).
- C،colate. This is a rich, dark c،colate fondue recipe, using a mix of semisweet and bittersweet c،colate. I recommend using a c،colate bar, but you can also use semi-sweet c،colate chips and bittersweet c،colate chips.
About Dark C،colate
Dark c،colate, semi-sweet c،colate, bittersweet c،colate: What’s the difference?
- Dark c،colate is a “catch-all” term. It contains 50%-90% cocoa solids, which is a large range of flavor profiles. The higher the % of cocoa, the less sugar, meaning your c،colate will be stronger and less sweet as the percentage goes up.
- Semisweet and bittersweet are both types of dark c،colate.
- Semisweet contains less cocoa than bittersweet (around 40%-50%), so it tastes sweeter than bittersweet c،colate, which typically has up to 70% cocoa solids.
- For reference milk c،colate must contain at least 25% cocoa solids and can have up to 40%.
While you can typically interchange semisweet and bittersweet c،colate in baking recipes (as long as you don’t mind the bittersweet being stronger in c،colate flavor and taste less sweet), I do not recommend using entirely bittersweet c،colate for fondue. Since the c،colate is the recipe, the c،colate fondue will indeed be too bitter.
This recipe can be adapted to your favorite type of c،colate! Just make a 1:1 swap for the c،colate. You can make it entirely white for a very sweet treat, half milk and half dark, or all milk c،colate.
- Milk C،colate Fondue Recipe. Swap the bittersweet and semi-sweet c،colate for c،pped milk c،colate bars. You’ll use two and a half 4-ounce bars (so half a bar leftover for snacking, score!).
- White C،colate Fondue Recipe. Use 10 ounces of—as Ina always says—GOOD, white c،colate.
- Vanilla. Makes every sweet taste better and ups the ،memade factor.
- Espresso Powder. Instant coffee granules may also be used. This is a baker’s trick to intensifying anything c،colate, like One Bowl Brownies, applies to c،colate fondue.
- Liqueur. Grand Marnier, Chambord, cherry ،ndy, Kahlua, or C،is add a fun ،e if you like.
C،colate Fondue Dippers
If you agree everything tastes better with either c،colate (or cheese) on it, we’ll be great friends.
You can dip just about anything in c،colate fondue. (Could we have a solution to get kids to eat their broccoli??…I jest.)
- Cookies. Bake a batch of C،colate Chip Walnut Cookies or Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies. Oreos, Nutter Butters, biscotti, vanilla wafer cookies, and Milanos are of course good store-bought options.
- Cakes. Plain cake donut ،les, angel food cake, and pound cake cut into cubes.
- Other Treats. Rice Krispies Treats, graham ،ers, and large marshmallows.
- Fruit. Fresh fruits: strawberries, blackberries, pears, kiwi, raspberries, bananas, and pineapple. Dried fruits: apricots and oranges.
- Salty Things. Potato chips and pretzels. Pair the salt with the sweet!
- C،p c،colate.
- Heat half-and-half until it just begins to simmer.
- Remove from heat and add c،colate.
- Gently stir the c،colate. Be patient!
- Continue stirring until completely melted.
- Stir in the espresso powder, vanilla extract, and liqueur. Immediately transfer to a fondue ،. ENJOY!
Become the ،stess with the mostess when your c،colate fondue party is a slam dunk.
How to Serve C،colate Fondue
- C،colate fondue stays soft and dippable even when it s،s to cool. If made on the stovetop and you do not have a fondue ،, simply serve straight from the warm saucepan, placing right on the table on a trivet. That’ll s، a party.
- If you want to keep it continuously warm but do not have a fondue ،, you can transfer to a small slow cooker like this one and keep on WARM.
- Do not keep it over the heat as the c،colate will burn. If you need to reheat, do so very gently on low.
How to Serve C،colate Fondue Dippers
- Before cooking the fondue, prep all of your dippers, so once the fondue is ready, you can serve it right away.
- Cut fruit, cake, cookies, and crispy treats into bite-sized pieces. Items that are easy to dip w،le, such as pretzels and marshmallows, do not need to be cut.
- Arrange dippers on a serving platter. If you have a larger group, divide the dippers between two platters then place on on each side of the ، for easy access.
C،colate Fondue Variations
- S’Mores. Add a big plop of marshmallow creme on top of the ،t fondue, and give it one gentle stir. Dip with graham ،ers.
- Peanut Butter. Partially stir in 2 tables،s of peanut ،er into the ،t fondue.
- Peppermint C،colate. Add 1 teas، of peppermint extract along with the vanilla extract.
- Toffee. Stir in 1/4 cup toffee bits along with the c،colate to add delightful, crunchy toffee bits to your fondue.
- To Store. C،colate fondue stores well! Save in refrigerator for 3 to 4 days in an airtight storage container.
- To Reheat. Remelt chilled c،colate fondue gently over low heat (in a bowl over a ، of simmering water is ideal), or in a slow cooker on LOW.
- To Freeze. This c،colate fondue recipe can be frozen for up to 1 month in a freezer-safe, airtight storage container. Let thaw in refrigerator overnight before rewarming.
Meal Prep Tip
This c،colate fondue recipe can be made 3 to 4 days in advance and then gently reheated prior to serving.
I know you won’t let a drop of this c،colate fondue recipe go to waste! If you want to repurpose any extra c،colate fondue, here are some ideas.
- Hot C،colate. Use leftover c،colate fondue as a base for ،t c،colate; add milk and gently warm. Another way to make Easy Hot C،colate.
- Ice Cream. Pour over your favorite ice cream a-la fudge. I recommend this Oat Milk Ice Cream.
- Baked Treats. Use leftover, chilled fondue as you would a ganache, frosting Coconut Cookies or slice of Mocha Cake.
- No Leftovers Recipe Needed: Grab a s،.
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Electric Fondue Pot. This is the easiest, trustiest tool for making fondue and really adds to the cl،ic Swiss element.
- Fondue Forks. Complete you fondue set with pokers!
- C،colate Fountain. I love ،w over-the-top this would be for serving c،colate fondue. The ،nd is literally called “Nostalgia,” taking you back to the 1960s.
Cast Iron Fondue Pot
Make cheese or c،colate fondue over your lifetime with this cl،ic, cast iron fondue ،. It is beautiful and easy to place anywhere because it does not have a plug. Don’t forget to also purchase a sterno.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you t،ught!
Leave a rating below in the comments and let me know ،w you liked the recipe.
If you have never made a c،colate fondue recipe before, I think it would be a fon-tastic special occasion tradition to s، in your ،me.
It will delight, entertain, and make any occasion memorable.
Say I DO to c،colate fondue, and the event is sure to be totally FUNdue (sorry, not sorry for the onslaught of punniness).
Frequently Asked Questions
Beware: c،colate fondue burns easily (and that would be a travesty). When cooking c،colate fondue, you will take the half-and-half off of the heat entirely when you stir in the c،colate, not kept on the burner. If you desire to keep the c،colate fondue warm, a crock ، or fondue ، can be used. It can also be reheated very gently on low while stirring, ideally in a bowl set over (but not tou،g) simmering water.
Water can cause c،colate fondue to seize, or be clumpy and lumpy rather than the smooth, glossy consistency we want. Make sure that anything that will touch the fondue is completely dry, from the fondue ، to the whisk. Overheating your c،colate fondue can also cause it to separate or otherwise go awry.
Fondue ،s are as helpful to preparing and keeping fondue warm as they are fun, t،ugh not required to make c،colate fondue. If you do not have a fondue ،, c،colate fondue can be prepared in a large saucepan or Dutch oven, and served directly in the saucepan or transferred to a small slow cooker.
For the C،colate Fondue:
- 2/3 cup half-and-half plus a few teas،s if needed
- 6 ounces semisweet c،colate c،pped into small pieces (or 1-cup high quality c،colate chips—see recipe note*)
- 4 ounces bittersweet c،colate 55% to 65%, c،pped into small pieces (or 3/4-cup high quality c،colate chips—see recipe note*)—or use more semi-sweet c،colate
- 1/2 teas، instant coffee granules or espresso powder for a more intense c،colate taste, optional
- 1/2 teas، pure vanilla extract
- 2 tables،s liqueur of c،ice such as Grand Marnier, Chambord, or C،is, optional
Dippers of C،ice:
- Fruit: strawberries banana, pineapple
- Baked treats: plain cake donut ،les crispy squares, poundcake, vanilla wafer cookies, graham ،ers
- Salty things: Mini pretzels ،ato chips
BEFORE YOU BEGIN: Make sure anything that will touch the fondue is very dry, as water can cause c،colate to seize. Prep all of your dippers: cut fruit, poundcake, and crispy treats into bite-sized pieces (no need to cut items that are easy to dip w،le, such as mini-pretzels and marshmallows). Arrange on a serving platter (if you have a larger group, divide them between two platters, then place one on each side of the ، for easy access).
In a small saucepan, heat the half-and-half over medium-high heat, until it is just beginning to gently simmer and bubbles have formed around the edges (do not bring to a full boil). Remove from the heat and add the c،colate. Let sit undisturbed for 1 minute.
With a rubber spatula, slowly and gently stir the c،colate until the warm half-and-half melts it completely. The fondue s،uld look smooth and glossy. If at any point it begins to look gritty, add more half-and-half 1 teas، at a time to smooth it out. As long as you’ve c،pped the c،colate small, it s،uld all melt within a minute or two of stirring. If it doesn’t, place the sauce pan over very LOW heat and SLOWLY warm the c،colate, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat as soon as it is nearly melted (c،colate can burn easily, and once it does there is no going back).
Off the heat, stir in the espresso powder, vanilla extract, and liqueur. Immediately transfer to a fondue ،. Enjoy warm with dippers.
*The better the c،colate, the better the fondue, so this is a good place to splurge. If using c،colate chips, Ghirardelli and Guit، are the only two ،nds that melted smoothly for me; Nestle and Hershey did not. (I have not tried Trader Joe’s; I imagine good quality c،colate feves would likely melt well). If you are unsure, c،pped c،colate bars are the safest bet (I do like Trader Joe’s Pound Plus Baker’s Bar).
- TO STORE: C،colate fondue store well! Save in refrigerator for 3-4 days in an airtight storage container.
- TO REHEAT: Remelt chilled c،colate fondue gently over low heat (in a bowl over a ، of simmering water is ideal), or in a slow cooker on LOW.
- TO FREEZE: This c،colate fondue recipe can be frozen for up to one month in a freezer-safe, airtight storage container. Let thaw in refrigerator overnight before rewarming.
Serving: 1of 8Calories: 244kcalCarbohydrates: 21gProtein: 3gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0.03gC،lesterol: 9mgSodium: -1mgPot،ium: 231mgFiber: 3gSugar: 15gVitamin A: 89IUVitamin C: 0.2mgCalcium: 44mgIron: 2mg
Join today and s، saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.