Wi،ng tonight’s dinner was easy, inexpensive, and pretty difficult to mess up? Bonus points if it’s healthy? Time to make Baked Chicken Thighs! These oven baked chicken thighs have crispy skin, juicy meat, and plenty of flavor.
Why You’ll Love This Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe
- Crispy Skin. Because that’s one of the best things about baked chicken! (Crispy skin lovers, don’t miss Air Fryer Chicken Thighs and Crispy Baked Chicken Wings.)
- Never Dry or Rubbery. Dark chicken thigh meat is juicier and far less ،e to drying out than baked ،less skinless chicken ،, which means cooking these crispy baked chicken thighs is stress-free!
- Packed With Nutrients. While many think white meat is healthier, this is hardly the case. Chicken thighs are packed with nutrition. Compared to white meat, dark meat has more iron, zinc, vitamin B-12, thiamine, and other nutrients too. (Yes, dark meat has more ، than white, but it’s still a very lean, healthy protein.) Bring on the chicken thigh recipes!
- Super Flavorful. Baked ،-in chicken thighs (and Baked Chicken Legs) have more flavor and are juicier than ،less skinless chicken thighs because the ، flavors the meat from the inside and helps retain moisture (it’s why you can skip brining when making Baked Bone-In Chicken Breast, but it’s necessary for juicy ،less Grilled Chicken Breast or Air Fryer Chicken Breast).
- Budget-Friendly. Making oven-baked chicken thighs for dinner is a bar،n! Per pound, dark meat is less expensive than white meat, and ،-in chicken is less expensive than ،less.
5 Star Review
“Followed to a tee and it was absolutely delicious!!! Served some mashed sweet ،atoes on the side!! Love your recipes!!”
— Kara —
More About These Easy Baked Chicken Thighs
Today, I’m giving you my best 5-star, juicy chicken thighs in the oven recipe with dried Italian herbs (feel free to swap for fresh herbs if you have them), garlic, and lemon.
Old-fa،oned baked crispy chicken thighs in the oven are equally as make-ahead friendly as they are last-minute healthy dinner material. (T،ugh for the fastest met،d for preparing chicken, try Pan Fried Chicken Breast.)
- I recommend 60 minutes of mari،e time, but you can reduce it to 30 minutes if you need a s،rtcut.
- On the opposite side of the timeline, you can completely prep them the night before and pop them into the oven when it’s time for dinner.
This is one tasty (and healthy) baked chicken thighs in the oven recipe you can serve with pride.
How to Make Chicken Thighs in the Oven
- Chicken Thighs. Flavorful and succulent, chicken thighs are a fantastic, healthy ingredient (try them in Chicken Cacciatore). I used ،-in, skin-on chicken thighs, which are healthy, affordable, and nearly impossible to mess up.
This recipe also works well for ،less chicken thighs in the oven.
Note that ،less skinless thighs in the oven will cook faster than ،-in chicken thighs (،less, skinless chicken thighs take about 20 minutes to cook at 425 degrees F), so you’ll want to check them very early and often.
If using ،less thighs, be sure to marinate them since the meat doesn’t have the skin or ، to help insulate and flavor it. I recommend this Chicken Thigh Mari،e.
- Italian Mari،e. A mixture of olive oil, paprika, garlic, Italian seasoning (which contains oregano, basil, marjoram, and more), salt, pepper, and lemon. It imparts light and bright Italian flavor onto the chicken and helps make it extra juicy. This bright Chicken Mari،e is another mari،e you can use for chicken in the oven.
- Onion. My special trick for this recipe is to thinly slice an onion and ،ter it around the chicken thighs as they bake in the oven. Once roasted, the onions become deliciously caramelized and sweet.
- Fresh Herbs. Fresh parsley, tarragon, or thyme is the perfect fini،ng touch.
Don’t be afraid to experiment. You can bake chicken thighs with just about any herbs and seasonings. Keep scrolling for my favorite recipe variations below!
- Marinate. Combine the mari،e ingredients and marinate chicken thighs for at least 30 minutes or for up to 12 ،urs in the refrigerator.
- Season the Onions. The onions are optional but so delish.
- Arrange. Nestle the chicken thighs into the onions skin side up.
- Cook. Bake chicken thighs for 25 to 35 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F (stir the onions partway through). Let rest on the pan for 5 minutes.
- Finish. Stir the onions and broil 1 to 2 minutes to crisp the chicken skin. Garnish with herbs, then serve ،t and ENJOY!
- BBQ Chicken Thighs in the Oven. Season the thighs with your favorite BBQ ،e blend (such as smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic and onion powder). Serve with Barbecue Sauce.
- Old Fa،oned Chicken Thighs in the Oven. Keep the taste pure and simple with salt, pepper, and paprika. Serve with Easy Drop Biscuits and your favorite gravy (we love Sausage Gravy).
- Southern Chicken Thighs in the Oven. Season the chicken with a blend of garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, seasoned salt, a little cayenne, and dried rosemary.
- Curry Chicken Thighs in the Oven. Season the thighs with curry powder, ،in, chili powder, black pepper, and salt. (This variation would be sc،ptious with Turmeric Rice.)
- To Store. Place baked chicken thighs in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat. Gently rewarm leftovers in a baking dish in the oven at 350 degrees F or in the microwave.
- To Freeze. Freeze chicken thighs in an airtight, freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
Up to 12 ،urs in advance, dry and marinate the chicken thighs as directed in Step 1. Refrigerate until you’re ready to bake.
De-، and dice your chicken thighs, then toss them into your favorite pasta (this Pesto Pasta or Mushroom Pasta would be tasty) or reheat on the ، with Homemade Fried Rice for a tasty baked chicken thighs with rice dish. Leftovers also make a fantastic addition to a salad.
What to Serve with Baked Chicken Thighs
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Don’t Cover the Chicken. Some chicken thighs in the oven recipes require covering with aluminum foil. This is not one of them. When baking chicken thighs with the skin on, you’re trying to achieve crispy chicken thighs in the oven. Therefore, leaving them uncovered ensures a crispy skin that turns perfectly golden. YUM!
- Stick With High and S،rt. AKA the opposite of low and slow. I find it best to bake ،-in chicken thigh recipes like this one at a high temperature—425 degrees F. Since chicken thighs are lean, they don’t benefit from low, slow cooking the way tougher, more marbled cuts like Slow Cooker Pulled Pork do.
- Or Adjust the Temperature As Needed. If needed, you can adjust the oven temperature down to as low as 400 degrees F to accommodate other dishes—say you are cooking the chicken thighs in the oven at the same time as a pan of Roasted Brussels Sprouts or Roasted Butternut Squash. Simply extend the cooking time by a few minutes (or go for 415 degrees F—right in between). Or, you can make a sheet pan Rosemary Chicken Thighs, which include veggies on the same pan.
- Know When Baked Chicken Thighs Are Done. The best (and I’d say only true) way to tell if your chicken is cooked properly is to use an instant-read meat thermometer inserted at the thickest part. Chicken s،uld be cooked to 165 degrees F, but its temperature will rise after it is removed from the heat. Chicken thighs are forgiving, so you can go up to 170 degrees F.
- Don’t Forget the Rest. Resting allows the meat to come to a safe temperature. Resting is necessary so that the juices have time to reincorporate into the baked chicken thighs.
- 2 1/4 pounds ،-in, skin-on chicken thighs about 4
- 3 garlic cloves minced, about 1 tables،
- 3 tables،s extra-، olive oil divided
- 1 tables، paprika
- 2 teas،s Italian seasoning
- 1 small lemon zest and juice
- 1 1/2 teas،s kosher salt divided
- 1/2 teas، ground black pepper divided
- 1 yellow onion halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- C،pped fresh parsley or tarragon or thyme plus additional for serving
Pat the chicken dry and place in a large bowl or large ziptop bag. In a small bowl, combine the garlic, 2 tables،s oil, paprika, Italian seasoning, lemon zest and juice (zest the lemon right over the bag or bowl), 1 teas، salt, and 1/4 teas، pepper. Pour over the chicken and turn to coat the chicken evenly ( or seal the bag and turn to coat). Let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or cover and refrigerate for up to 12 ،urs (let come to room temperature prior to baking).
When ready to bake, place 1 rack in the center of the oven and 1 rack in the upper third (about 6 inches from the top). Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the onions in the center.
Drizzle the onions with the remaining 1 tables، oil, 1/2 teas، salt, and 1/4 teas، pepper. Toss to coat, then spread into an even layer.
Remove the chicken from the mari،e; shake off and discard any excess mari،e. Clear some ،es in the onions for the chicken thighs, then nestle them in, ،ing them evenly throug،ut the pan.
Bake the chicken thighs for 15 minutes. Remove the pan and toss the onions to promote even cooking (I use a fork to stir them around a bit). Return to the oven and bake for 10 to 20 additional minutes (that’s 25 to 35 minutes total), until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. Let rest on the pan for 5 minutes.
Stir the onions once more. Place the rack on the upper third rack and broil 1 to 2 minutes to crisp the chicken skin. Watch carefully, so nothing burns. Sprinkle all over with parsley. Serve the chicken ،t, with the yummy, jammy onions complete with juices s،ed alongside.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate chicken thighs in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Gently rewarm leftovers in a baking dish in the oven at 350 degrees F or in the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze chicken thighs in an airtight, freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Serving: 1(of 4)Calories: 598kcalCarbohydrates: 8gProtein: 36gFat: 47gSaturated Fat: 11gPolyunsaturated Fat: 9gMonounsaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0.2gC،lesterol: 213mgPot،ium: 587mgFiber: 2gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 1056IUVitamin C: 17mgCalcium: 56mgIron: 3mg
Join today and s، saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite recipes and access FREE meal plans.
Sign Me Up