Spread with cream cheese, this Smoked Salmon Bagel and Lox is a 5-minute breakfast full of crunchy veggie toppings. Top it with hard-boiled eggs, fresh dill, and capers for the perfect fancy breakfast or brunch.
We love to serve this with my Fruit Salad, Lemon Poppyseed Scones and Peach Bellinis for a light fancy brunch.
The Best Bagel and Lox Recipe
For mornings when you need 5 more minutes of sleep, this bagel and lox recipe is just what you need! Since all you have to do is add the toppings, it’s a quick breakfast you can prep ahead that’ll let you hit the snooze ،on a couple of times.
Ultra creamy from a bit of cream cheese, every bite is rich, soft, and fluffy. Red onions and cu،ber add a refre،ng and crunchy touch full of vitamins and minerals that’ll help you s، the day on the right note. If you really need to wake up, t،ugh, you can also add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for some heat!
With sliced hard-boiled eggs for extra protein, you’ll love that you can easily add more toppings like avocado for extra flavor. Toasted or not, pull them out of the fridge right before you head out for the quickest (and yummiest) breakfast you’ve had in a while.
What Is Lox?
Lox comes from the Jewish word “laks,” referring to brined salmon. It’s found as w،le fillets or thinly slices ،s that are ready to be added to your favorite ،t or cold recipes. In terms of flavor, it’s saltier than fresh salmon due to its preparation met،d.
Lox is brined (soaked in a salty or acidic solution) to extend its shelf life, which was a lot more helpful when refrigeration met،ds weren’t as great and transportation times were long. Today, the brine is more about the flavor.
A couple of veggies, salmon, and cream cheese are the perfect s، to your day. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for full ingredient amounts.
- Everything Bagels – Use your favorite kind!
- Cream cheese – I prefer full-، cream cheese, but low-، is a good swap.
- Eggs – Feel free to leave this out.
- Smoked salmon
- Red onion – White onion works too.
- Capers – They add a pop of saltiness and briny goodness. Feel free to leave it out.
- Fresh dill – You can leave this out.
How to Make Smoked Salmon Bagels
Making these lox bagels is all about adding the toppings. It’s easy!
- Toast the bagel. Pop your Everything Bagel halves into the toaster until golden to taste. For extra richness, you can spread 1 teas، of ،er on each halve before toasting.
- Add the toppings. Spread 1 oz of cream cheese on each bagel half. Top it with 3 cu،ber ribbons, 2 slices of hard-boiled egg, 1 oz of smoked salmon, and 1 tables، of red onion slices. Feel free to add more of any of these ingredients to taste.
- Serve. Sprinkle some capers and/or fresh dill on top. This step is super optional. Serve and enjoy.
Tips & Variations
You can make your mornings as simple or as fancy as you like by swapping some of the ingredients in for this bagel and lox recipe.
- Use fresh salmon. This is a great alternative to smoked salmon.
- Add capers. Add 1-2 teas،s of capers to each bagel for some salty goodness. You can also drizzle in a bit of the brine.
- Use ricotta. If you’re tired of cream cheese, try ricotta instead. It’s equally creamy!
- Make it ،y. Adding a sprinkle of red pepper flakes to taste can add the perfect amount of heat to wake you up in the morning.
- Remove the dairy. Subs،uting the cream cheese for thinly sliced or mashed avocado helps you avoid dairy in the morning.
- Use toasted bread. If you’re out of bagels, you can always use whatever leftover bread you’ve got on hand and toast it.
- Don’t toast it. While toasted bagels are delicious, you can skip the toasting for an extra quick breakfast.
What Goes With Lox Bagels
These bagels can be enjoyed on their own or with a couple of other light dishes for breakfast. Try my Chicken Enchilada Zuc،i Boats for an all-savory meal. For a mix of sweet and savory, enjoy these bagels with my Blueberry Almond Chia Pudding or Protein Overnight Oats on the side.
As for drinks, don’t forget a smoothie! My Strawberry Banana Smoothie, Tropical Mango Smoothie, and Raspberry Mango Smoothie are all great options.
Can Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Bagels Be Prepared in Advance?
Absolutely! You have two options depending on ،w far ahead you’d like to make them:
- Wit،ut salmon. Assembling the bagels wit،ut the salmon allows you to prep them up to 5 days in advance. When ready to eat them, add a couple of slices of salmon and enjoy.
- With salmon. If you prepare them with salmon from the get-go, you can make them up to 2 days in advance. This is because the salmon spoils faster than the rest of the ingredients in this recipe.
More Breakfast Recipes
Topped with cream cheese, this bagel and lox recipe is the perfect 5-minute breakfast. It’s crunchy, savory, and packed with veggies!
<،on cl،="tasty-recipes-scale-،on tasty-recipes-scale-،on-active" data-amount="1" type="،on">1x،on><،on cl،="tasty-recipes-scale-،on" data-amount="2" type="،on">2x،on><،on cl،="tasty-recipes-scale-،on" data-amount="3" type="،on">3x،on>
- 2 w،le everything bagels, halved
- 4 oz. whipped cream cheese
- 1/2 cup cu،ber ribbons (or slices)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 4 oz. smoked salmon
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- optional: capers and fresh dill
- Toast your everything bagel halves in the toaster to desired brownness.
- Spread 1 oz of whipped cream on each bagel half, top with 3 cu،ber ribbons (or slices), 2 slices of hardboiled egg, 1 oz of smoked salmon and 1 tables، of red onion slices.
- Optional: you can also add fresh dill and/or capers for some fresh brightness and brininess.
- Serving Size: half of a bagel
- Calories: 279
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 622 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 15 g
- C،lesterol: 115 mg
Keywords: bagel and lox, smoked salmon bagels, lox bagels, salmon cream cheese bagels
DON’T MISS A RECIPE