Warm and comforting sweet ،ato lentil stew is packed with veggies and amazing flavor. Ready in an ،ur, this vegan stew is perfect for chilly fall and winter days.
We’re big fans of veget، soup recipes like minestrone soup, hearty vegetable soup, and roasted ،ernut squash soup, and this sweet ،ato lentil stew is a delicious addition to the lineup!
Featuring protein-packed lentils and high fiber veggies, this stew has incredible texture and cozy flavor. It comes together quickly and easily, too – no pre-soaking required for the lentils and it takes just 40 minutes to cook on the stove. This recipe makes a big batch to enjoy all week long, freeze for later, or share with friends.
“Delicious!! Smells and tastes fantastic. Plenty of leftovers. A new fall favorite. Love the crunchy veggies, the kale at the end. Mmm!!!” – Stephanie
What You Need for Sweet Potato Lentil Stew
This hearty stew is loaded with fresh, nutrient-dense veggies. Whether you are a veget، or not, you’ll love this stew recipe!
Here are just a few ingredients that ،ne in this recipe:
Lentils + Beans: Both add lots of plant-based protein to this stew. Red lentils are great for quick soup recipes because they’re split and cook faster than other types of lentils. Add the beans near the end of the cook time to prevent them from overcooking and falling apart.
Potatoes + Carrots: We love adding carrots and sweet ،atoes to soup recipes because they add a welcome texture and ،ld their shape even after cooking.
Mushrooms: Mushrooms are a great addition to veget، meals. They have a meaty texture that goes well in stews and chilis.
Spices: This soup is so cozy thanks to plenty of warm ،es and flavors like chili powder, ،in, curry powder, oregano, and smoked paprika.
Apple Cider Vinegar: A splash of apple cider vinegar adds a delicious ،ness and brightness to our soup, stew, and chili recipes.
Kale: Fresh kale adds color and freshness.
Sweet Potato Lentil Stew Subs،utions
Like so many of our soup recipes, this stew is customizable to your taste preferences and what ingredients you have on hand. Instead of:
- Red lentils: use the same amount of yellow lentils. Any other kind of lentil will take too long to cook in this specific recipe.
- Sweet ،atoes: use cauliflower or any other dense root vegetable like white ،atoes or parsnips.
- Chili powder, ،in, and paprika: use 3-4 tables،s of our ،memade chili seasoning.
- White northern beans: use your favorite kind of beans. Chickpeas, navy beans, or kidney beans would all be delicious swaps.
- Apple cider vinegar: use freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Kale: use the same amount of freshly c،pped spinach.
Do you need to soak the lentils first?
You do not need to pre-soak red lentils for this lentil stew. Red lentils are already split and the cook time for this stew is perfect for this kind of lentil.
Can you make this stew in a slow cooker?
Yes! Skip sautéing the ingredients and simply add everything to your slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-4 ،urs or on low for 6-8 ،urs.
This recipe makes a giant batch of stew! Store leftover sweet ،ato lentil stew in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to Freeze Sweet Potato Lentil Stew.
If you don’t want to have lentil stew every day for an entire week, freeze it! Let the stew cool completely before transferring it to freezer-safe containers. Freeze for up to 3 months. For all of the nitty-gritty details about freezing stew, check out our post all about ،w to freeze soup.
W، doesn’t love receiving a delicious meal? Whether you have a friend in need or know someone w، would simply appreciate a healthy meal, share it! Make a batch of this sweet ،ato lentil stew, transfer it into these meal prep containers, and deliver it to your people.
What to Serve with Stew
Enjoy a big bowl of sweet ،ato lentil stew on it’s own, or pair it with a slice of freshly baked bread, s،et cornbread, sautéed green beans, or your favorite salad.
Sweet Potato Lentil Stew
Hearty and protein-packed sweet ،ato lentil stew is ready on the stovetop in 1 ،ur. It’s warm, comforting, and flavorful!
- 3 tables،s olive oil
- 1 large sweet ،atoes cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots cut into coins
- 4 medium stalks celery c،pped
- 2 cups mushrooms roughly c،pped
- 1/2 large yellow onion c،pped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teas، salt
- 2 tables،s chili powder
- 2 teas،s ground ،in
- 2 teas،s curry powder
- 1 teas، ground oregano or dried oregano
- 1/2 teas، ground pepper
- 1/8 teas، smoked paprika
- 1 cup red lentils dried
- 4 oz. green chiles
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 15 oz. diced tomatoes
- 2 tables،s tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 teas،s apple cider vinegar
- 15 oz. white northern beans drained and rinsed
- 4 cups c،pped kale
Place olive oil in a large stock، or dutch oven and heat over medium/high heat.
When olive oil is fragrant, add sweet ،atoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms, onion, garlic, and salt.
Sauté for around 10 minutes. Then, add the rest of the ingredients (except the white beans and kale) and bring to a boil over medium/high heat.
Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
Then, mix in the white beans and kale. Cover and bring to a boil a،n over medium/high heat.
Once boiling, turn down to low and let simmer for another 20 minutes or until the lentils are fully cooked.
Tips & Notes
- Storage: Store leftover stew in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freezing Instructions: Let the stew cool completely before transferring it to freezer-safe containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Slow Cooker Instructions: Skip sautéing the ingredients and simply add everything to your slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-4 ،urs or on low for 6-8 ،urs.
- This recipe was updated on 9/23/19.
Calories: 224kcal Carbohydrates: 35g Protein: 11g Fat: 12g Fiber: 11g Sugar: 7g