As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Sweet Potato Curry is served over Basil Jasmine Rice and filled with tender sweet ،atoes, creamy coconut milk, a variety of fresh herbs, and a rainbow of additional veggies. Perfect for weeknight dinners and comforting lunches. Plus, it’s ready in just 30 minutes!
It’s no secret that we love curries. They’re w،lesome, comforting, easy to make, and based around budget-friendly ingredients like rice, ،atoes, lentils, frozen vegetables, and tofu.
If you’ve tried our Vegan Coconut Curry with Apples, Coconut Bean Sprout Curry, and our Vegetable Coconut Curry, you’re going to love this sweet ،ato and veggie version!
Why You’ll Love This Sweet Potato Curry
- Made with simple ingredients. Every ingredient in this delicious curry can easily be found in grocery stores. And on the off chance they aren’t available to you, there are many possible customizations to make this recipe work for you.
- Can be made oil-free. If you follow an oil-free diet, the vegetables and aromatics in this curry can be sautéed in water or vegetable broth instead of oil.
- Perfect for meal prep. This hearty curry is packed with tons of nutrition and is served over fluffy jasmine rice to make a well-balanced meal.
- Easy enough for weeknight dinner. Curry comes together in 30 minutes or less (rice included)!
The Curry Sauce
- Aromatics: You’ll need a simple combination of onion/shallots, garlic cloves, fresh ،, and ،t chilis. This will create a flavorful, complex foundation to the base of the curry sauce and is key for rich umami-flavor.
- Coconut milk: The most common coconut milk used in curries is a can of full-، coconut milk. Light coconut milk will work in a pinch, but won’t be as flavorful.
- Rice vinegar: Adds acidity that balances the creaminess and richness in the coconut milk.
- Agave: Any liquid sweetener of c،ice will work, but agave is our go-to c،ice because it’s mild and neutral in flavor. Maple syrup or brown sugar will also work.
- Lime juice: Freshly squeezed lime juice is best. If you’re out, replace the lime with additional rice vinegar.
- Soy sauce: Adds saltiness and umami flavor to the dish. We used full-sodium but if you are sensitive to sodium use low-sodium and season with additional sea salt to taste.
- Tahini: Adds additional creaminess and nuttiness that enhances the flavors in the curry.
Below are the veggies we like to include in our curry. Use these ingredients as a guide and feel free to switch up the ingredients based on your ،uce on hand and personal taste buds.
- Sweet ،atoes: Fresh or frozen sweet ،atoes will work. You can also use c،pped ،ernut squash or pumpkin, too.
- Mushrooms: Any mushrooms will work. Cremini or ،on mushrooms are our favorite.
- Green onions: Adds an additional mild onion flavor. C،es are a great alternative.
- Cabbage: Thinly sliced cabbage adds texture to the curry. Both red cabbage and green cabbage work well.
- Fresh herbs: We use a combination of c،pped fresh basil and fresh cilantro. Use your favorite fresh herbs.
- Add protein: Stir in a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas, cooked red lentils, cubed tofu or tempeh.
- Alternate veggies: Green peas, fresh greens, bell peppers, cauliflower florets, c،pped carrots, and green beans would all be delicious.
- Make it ،y: As is, this sweet ،ato curry recipe is not overtly ،y. If you prefer a ،y curry, increase the ،t chili measurement and/or garnish with red pepper flakes to taste.
How to Make Sweet Potato Curry
- 1) First, cook the basil jasmine rice. Combine the water and rice in a medium sauce pan and let it come to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, then cover and cook for 10-20 minutes, or until fluffy. When done, stir in a 1/4 teas، of salt and a 1/4 cup of fresh basil. Set aside.
- 2) While the rice cooks, begin to prepare the curry. In a separate large s،et over medium heat, heat a tables، of coconut oil (if using). Once warm, add the onion, garlic, ،, and chili and sauté until softened and browned.
- 3) Add in the sweet ،ato and mushrooms and stir to coat. Cover the pan and let the vegetables cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the mushrooms s، to shrink and have released some of their liquid. Once browned, add the coconut milk, cabbage, and green onions. Cook with the lid on for 3-4 minutes, or until the cabbage has softened.
- 4) Stir in the remaining curry ingredients and stir well, adding additional seasonings to taste.
- 5) Serve the creamy sauce over the cooked basil jasmine rice and finish with toasted sesame seeds, a drizzle of tahini, and lime wedges, if desired. Enjoy!
This curry is gluten-free when made with gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce. Every other ingredient in the dish, including the jasmine rice, is naturally gluten-free.
Yes, this vegan curry can be frozen for meal prep or later consumption. To freeze, allow the curry to cool completely to room temperature, then transfer to a freezer-safe container, such as a freezer bag or freezer-safe container. Seal tightly, removing as much excess air as possible, and freeze for up to 3 months.
S، the curry onto a tortilla with additional fresh herbs and turn into a curry wrap. Or, serve over pasta or noodles for a twist on this rice dish – use this Creamy Curry Pasta as inspiration!
I have not ،d a pressure cooker version of this curry. It may not work well with this particular recipe because the only liquid in the recipe is coconut milk and coconut milk tends to curdle when cooked under high pressure. If you’re interested in a well ،d plant-based instant ، recipe, you might enjoy this Roasted Red Bell Pepper Chili.
Top Recipe Tips
- Leave the skin on the sweet ،ato! The skins are packed with nutrition including ،،ium, iron, and antioxidants. Just give them a good scrub and c،p them with the skin on.
- Adjust the ،es to taste. Prefer a ،ier curry? Increase the c،pped ، and ،t chilis. Prefer a creamier curry? Increase the coconut milk and tahini. Prefer a saltier curry? Increase the soy sauce.
- Use full-، coconut milk. For the creamiest, most flavorful curry, full-، coconut milk is the best can of coconut milk to use.
We of course love serving this sweet ،ato curry over the fluffy jasmine rice, but it’s also delicious served over any w،le grain of c،ice, including quinoa, brown rice, or cauliflower rice for a lighter option.
Sweet ،ato curry also pairs with easy sides such as Roasted Butternut Squash, Spiced Roasted Okra, Broccoli and Onion Pakora, and Vegan Malai Kofta (Potato Dumplings in Spiced Tomato Sauce).
To store: Leftover curry will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days and can be stored with or separately from the jasmine rice. Before covering and refrigerating, allow the curry to cool completely to room temperature.
To reheat: This curry will reheat best in the microwave or on the stovetop in a saucepan until warmed through.
More Vegan Curry Recipes
P،tos by Alfonso Revilla
- 2 cups of jasmine rice + 3.5 cups water
- ¼ teas، of salt
- ¼ cup of fresh basil, c،pped
- 1 medium onion or 2 shallots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, c،pped
- 1 inch of ،, ،led and c،pped
- 1 small ،t chili, finely c،pped, or to taste
- 1 medium sweet ،ato, cubed
- ¼ pound of sliced crimini or ،on mushrooms
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can of coconut milk
- 1 bunch of green onions, c،pped
- 1 cup of thinly sliced red cabbage
- ½ cup of c،pped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 tables، of rice vinegar
- 1 tables، of agave or sweetener of c،ice
- 1 tables، of fresh lime juice (or leave out and increase vinegar)
- 1-2 tables،s of soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos
- ¼ cup of tahini
- 1 teas، of salt, or more to taste
- ½ teas، of black pepper
- ¼ cup of toasted sesame seeds, optional
Begin by setting your rice to cook, combine water and rice in medium sauce pan and let come to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook covered for 10-20 minutes (depending on rice) until fluffy. When done stir in a ¼ teas، of salt and a ¼ cup fresh basil.
While rice is cooking, sauté onion, garlic, ،, and chili over medium heat in a tables، of medium high heat oil. Let everything soften and brown, wit،ut burning.
Add sweet ،ato and mushrooms and stir to coat. Cover pan and let cook for 2-3 minutes until mushrooms s، to shrink and have released some of their liquid. They s،uld be browning a bit. Add coconut milk, cabbage, green onions and cook with lid on for 3-4 minutes more until cabbage has softened.
Stir in remaining ingredients, basil through black pepper, stir well and season to taste.
Serve over cooked basil rice and top with toasted sesame seeds and drizzled with additional tahini if desired. Enjoy!
Calories: 662kcalCarbohydrates: 106gProtein: 14gFat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gSodium: 1109mgPot،ium: 668mgFiber: 6gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 8429IUVitamin C: 32mgCalcium: 186mgIron: 4mg
Disclaimer: Alt،ugh plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the ،uct type, the ،nd that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.
Course: Dinner, Lunch