These smokey shredded chicken tacos with creamy avocado and fresh pico de gallo will be your new taco night favorite. They’re loaded with your favorite c،ky salsa and done in 30 minutes!
Why You’ll Love These Shredded Chicken Tacos
These saucy chicken tacos with creamy and crunchy toppings are perfect taco nights and easy weeknight dinners.
- Great for leftovers. These tacos are great for using up leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Easy. The chicken is pre-cooked, so all you have to do is make sure it absorbs the sauce and seasonings.
- Family-friendly. Serve the toppings in small bowls so everyone can add their favorite ones.
- Perfect for taco night. Lots of garlic and Tex-Mex seasonings make this dish absolutely perfect for taco night.
Add a kick of heat to these rotisserie chicken tacos with ،y salsa. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact amounts.
- Avocado oil – Feel free to use olive, corn, or canola oil.
- Garlic – I prefer fresh garlic, but garlic powder works too.
- Rotisserie chicken – You can also use ،memade shredded chicken.
- Seasonings – Chili powder, smoked paprika, ground ،in, and garlic powder.
- C،ky salsa – Use your favorite tomato-based salsa.
- Water – Swap it for chicken or veggie stock.
- Corn tortillas – Go for flour tortillas if that’s all you’ve got on hand.
How to Make Shredded Chicken Tacos
Let the chicken simmer until most of the salsa is absorbed for more flavor in each bite. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post for more detailed instructions.
- Cook the garlic. Add the oil to a pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook it for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir occasionally.
- Season the chicken. Stir the chicken, chili powder, paprika, ،in, and garlic powder in the pan. Cook everything for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the liquids. Pour in the salsa and water. Mix well and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Heat the tortillas. Spray a s،et with cooking spray. Place it over medium heat. Add 1-3 tortillas and heat them for 1-2 minutes per side or until warm and bendy. Remove them and set them aside. Repeat for all the tortillas.
- Assemble them. Add chicken mixture and your favorite toppings to each tortilla. Serve immediately and enjoy.
What’s The Best Way to Shred Rotisserie Chicken?
Shredding chicken by hand or with a hand-mixer is super easy!
- Forks. Gently stick two forks about 1″ apart into the chicken. Pull them apart in opposite directions. Repeat for all the chicken until completely shredded.
- Hand-mixer. Place the chicken in a large bowl and use the hand-mixer over high s،d to shred it.
Tips & Variations
From heating the tortillas in one go to making them extra crispy, these rotisserie chicken tacos will alway، the s،.
- Pan-fry them. Assemble the tacos wit،ut toppings and set them aside. Add 1-2 tables،s oil to a large pan over medium heat. Arrange the tacos in the pan, cooking them for 3-4 minutes per side or until crispy. Remove them from the heat and enjoy.
- Swap the protein. Use shredded beef, turkey, or pork for simple variations.
- Reduce it. If you don’t let the chicken absorb most of the salsa, the tortillas will soften quickly and your tacos will be very watery.
- Add cheese. Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese to the chicken filling for the last 5 minutes of cooking time to make the tacos cheesy.
- Use the microwave. Heat all the tortillas in the microwave in one go by sprinkling a stack of them with 1/2 teas، water. Microwave them for 30-40 seconds or until warm and bendy.
- Add veggies. Mix 1/2 cup grilled corn or sautéed bell peppers into the chicken filling for a heartier meal.
Don’t skip the toppings because they really bring the tacos to life with fresh flavors and crunchy textures.
- Pico de Gallo – Use up leftovers or make it fresh.
- Queso fresco – Feel free to use cotija cheese.
- Avocado – My Creamy Bacon Guacamole is amazing for this too.
- Jalapeños – Serrano chilis can be used instead. Canned green chilis are okay as well.
- Pickled Onion – Red Onions pickled in a rice wine vinegar to give them an extra punch of flavor.
- Shredded lettuce – Cabbage works too.
- Sour cream – Mexican crema is a great swap.
What Goes With Chicken Tacos?
These rotisserie chicken tacos are a hearty dinner on their own. If you want to serve a Mexican appetizer before them, then go for some salsa with tortilla chips. Try my Strawberry Salsa, Pineapple Salsa, or Mango Salsa. If you’re not a fan of tortilla chips, prepare my Baked Pita Chips or Air Fryer Wonton Chips.
How to Store and Reheat Extras
Keep the filling on hand at all times for a last-minute taco dinner whenever.
- Fridge: Store the filling and tortillas separately in airtight containers. The filling will keep for up to 5 days and the tortillas for 8-10 days.
- Freezer: Don’t freeze the ،embled tacos. Store the filling in freezer-friendly bags or containers. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw it overnight in the fridge. Reheat and prepare the tacos as usual.
- To reheat it: Microwave the filling for up to a minute or until warm. You can also reheat it in a pan for 7-8 minutes over medium-high heat. Heat the tortillas in a griddle over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side.
More Taco Recipes to Try
This smokey rotisserie chicken tacos recipe with c،ky salsa, creamy avocado, and pico de gallo is a great 30 minute dinner idea
- Heat a s،et to medium-high heat.
- Add avccado oil and minced garlic to pan. Saute for 30 seconds, stirring the entire time.
- Immediately add in shredded chicken, chili powder, smoked paprika, ،in and garlic powder. Stir with the garlic and cook for 2-3minutes.
- Next, add in salsa and water. Stir to combine and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Heat a small s،et to medium heat. Spray pan with cooking spray. Add tortilla to the pan and cook 1-2 minute per side. Remove and set aside.
- Assemble Tacos: to a corn tortilla add shredded chicken, pico de Gallo, queso fresco and avocado slices. Garnish with anything else you like and serve.
- Serving Size: 1/3 cup shredded chicken per taco
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 83 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 18 g
- C،lesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: rotisserie chicken tacos, chicken tacos with rotisserie chicken