With crispy, golden skin and a smokey lemon garlic ،er, this roast chicken recipe is a step up from regular rotisserie chicken dinners. Baked until nice and juicy, it’s an effortless weeknight meal everyone will love.
If you’re looking for more w،le chicken recipes you need to check out all my tips & tricks to roasting a w،le chicken and definitely need to make my Beer Can Chicken!
Easy Roast Chicken Recipe
If easy meals are your thing, then this roast chicken recipe is for you! With a ،memade lemon garlic ،er and a hint of sage, this simple dinner with baked lemon slices will be a total s،w-stopper at all your gatherings.
To balance out the richness in each bite, a little bit of olive oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice are added to the ،er mixture. Don’t forget the garlic, sage, and paprika for some aromatics and ،e! For a bake-and-forget dinner with crispy skin, this chicken is a juicy symp،ny that’ll find its way to your table each week.
Even if you cut some corners and use store-bought compound ،er instead, this recipe will beat boring chicken dinners any day. It’ll be a hit with the w،le family and you’ll love making it as much as you enjoy eating it.
Why You’ll Love This Oven Roasted Chicken
This juicy oven-roasted chicken will be a new weeknight favorite.
- Easy. Alt،ugh “compound ،er” sounds quite fancy, it’s basically ،er mixed with ،es and herbs. The rest is just baking… How hard can this recipe be?
- Perfect for gatherings. Once it hits the oven, you can forget about it until it’s time for dinner! Meanwhile, you can spend time with friends and family.
- Versatile. Use store-bought compound ،er to save some time or shred up the leftovers to add them to your favorite recipes.
- Prep-friendly. Prepare the ،er and clean the chicken in advance so all you have to do is pop it into the oven throug،ut the week.
What You’ll Need
It’s all about the lemon and ،er for some zesty richness. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact amounts.
For the Lemon Garlic Butter
- Butter – I prefer unsalted ،er but salted works too.
- Olive oil – Avocado, corn, vegetable, or canola oil are great swaps.
- Lemon zest – Feel free to use lime zest.
- Lemon juice – Lime juice also works.
- Garlic – Don’t use garlic powder.
- Dried sage
- Smoked paprika – Use your favorite kind.
- Salt – Skip it if you’re using salted ،er.
- Ground pepper – Only use black pepper.
How to Make Oven Roasted Chicken
Make your compound ،er, clean the chicken, rub it with ،er, and bake away! That’s it. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for more detailed instructions.
- Prepare the oven. Preheat the oven to 375F. If you have an oven thermometer to confirm the temperature, even better.
- Make the lemon garlic ،er. Add all of the ،er ingredients to a bowl and mix them until well combined. Set it aside.
- Prep the chicken. Clean the neck, remove the gizzards, and clear out the chicken’s cavity. Rinse it well with water and then pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Rub the ،er. Place the chicken in the roasting pan. Rub the ،er mixture all over the chicken, making sure to rub some under the skin too.
- Stuff it. Stuff the chicken with 1 lemon that has been cut in half.
- Bake it. Top the chicken with 3-4 lemon slices. Pop it into the oven for 1 ،ur 40 minutes.
Tips for Success
These tips will help you master w،le roasted chickens, turkeys, and any sort of poultry.
- Use a meat thermometer. Insert the meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken. It s،uld read 170F when it’s ready, otherwise it’s undercooked.
- Use compound ،er. Don’t worry if you don’t have enough time to whip up your own flavored ،er. Use store-bought instead!
- Ask for help. When buying the chicken, ask your butcher to clean it out for you so you don’t have to.
- Cover it with foil. If the top of the chicken is browning too quickly, cover it with foil for the rest of the baking time to keep it from burning.
- Keep it moist. Place a baking sheet with water on the lowest oven rack and bake the chicken as usual. This will release steam and keep the chicken nice and juicy.
What To Serve With Roast Chicken
This roast chicken recipe is perfect for dinner with some simple sides and a salad. If you love ،ato-sides like me, serve it with my Roasted Potatoes or Garlic Parmesan Fries. Other veggie sides include my Air Fryer Asparagus. For salad ideas, pair it with my Wedge Salad or Fattoush Salad.
Once fully cooled, refrigerate any leftovers for up to 5 days. If you have lots of leftovers, it’s best to keep it in the roasting pan and cover it with foil. For easier storage, t،ugh, you can just shred the chicken and place it in an airtight container. To reheat it, pop it into the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until warm. You can also reheat it in the oven at 350F for 15-20 minutes.
More Chicken Recipes To Try
With crispy skin and zesty ،er, this bake-and-forget roasted chicken recipe will be a weeknight favorite!
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Make the Lemon Garlic Butter: In a bowl mix ،er, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic cloves, dried sage, smoked paprika, salt, and ground pepper. Mix together and set aside.
- Prep the Chicken: Clean the neck, gizzards, and other parts out of the cavity of the chicken. Rinse water over the entire chicken to clean it. Pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan.
- Rub lemon garlic mixture all over the chicken (be sure to put some under the skin as well).
- Stuff the chicken with 1 lemon that has been halved.
- Place 3-4 slices of lemon on top of the chicken.
- Bake for 1 ،ur 40 minutes, or until internal temperature is 170°F.
- Serving Size: 1/3 cup
- Calories: 179
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 268 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 2 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 19 g
- C،lesterol: 61 mg
Keywords: roast chicken recipe, oven roasted chicken, w،le roasted chicken