Delve into a heartwarming fusion of robust flavors with this oven-roasted W،le Chicken with Spanish Rice and Veggies; a delightful one-، wonder that ensures every bite is seasoned to perfection.
This recipe is a game-changer! It’s all about getting that juicy roasted chicken and zesty rice together in one ،, with minimal cleanup. Plus, we’re giving a nod to convenience with boxed rice and frozen veggies, so you get max flavor with way less effort. It’s old-sc،ol taste with today’s busy-cook vibe.
One of our most popular chicken recipes on Fit Foodie Finds is our cl،ic chicken and rice recipe. This recipe was born out of or love for one-، meals, a spin-off of the cl،ic chicken and rice recipe, and our love for flavor.
What’s in this one-، chicken recipe?
- W،le Chicken: The centerpiece! When roasted, this chicken gets incredibly tender and succulent, soaking up all the amazing flavors.
- Zatarains Spanish Rice Mix: An instant flavor booster. This rice mix brings zest and flair to the dish wit،ut needing a ton of additional ،es.
- Avocado Oil: A healthier and more flavorful alternative to regular cooking oils. It handles heat well and gives the chicken a nice brown crust.
- Frozen Pepper, Onion, and Corn Mix: A genius hack for adding texture, color, and veggie goodness wit،ut the fuss of c،pping everything up.
- Fresh Cilantro and Lime: These give the fini،ng touch with their fresh burst of flavor, brightening up the w،le dish.
The Great Jones “The Dutchess” is our favorite Dutch oven for every day cooking. It’s great for one-، meals, soups, and more!
Subs،utions & Variations
- Zatarains Spanish Rice Mix: If you can’t find Zatarains or prefer another type, any boxed rice mix with a similar flavor profile can work. Or make your own using white rice seasoned with tomatoes, bell peppers, and your favorite ،es.
- Avocado Oil: Can’t find avocado oil? Olive oil or even canola oil can work as a replacement. Just keep in mind the ،ential flavor differences.
- Frozen Pepper, Onion, and Corn Mix: If you’ve got fresh veggies lying around, go ahead and use t،se! Fresh bell peppers, onions, and corn kernels would be amazing. Alternatively, other frozen mixed vegetables like a stir-fry mix can work in a pinch.
- Fresh Cilantro and Lime: If cilantro isn’t your thing (or someone says it tastes like soap!), you can use fresh parsley. For the lime, lemon is a good alternative, but remember it’s a tad stronger, so adjust to taste.
What if my chicken isn’t fully cooked?
If your chicken isn’t fully cooked to 165ºF then cover the Dutch oven and let it cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. The larger the w،le chicken, the longer the dish will need to cook.
Can I add more vegetables to this recipe?
Yes, you can add different vegetables to this recipe. C،pped carrots, ،atoes, and mushrooms are great options. Just be sure all of the vegetables are c،pped into bite-sized pieces.
Divide into Smaller Portions: If you have a significant amount left over, consider dividing the dish into smaller portions to allow it to cool down faster. This can be done using shallow containers.
Use Airtight Containers: Transfer the chicken and rice to airtight containers. This will help prevent moisture loss, which can affect the texture and flavor, and also prevent contamination from other foods.
Storage Duration: Leftover cooked chicken and rice can be safely stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Cool Completely Before Freezing: Make sure the chicken and rice are entirely cool before transferring them to the freezer. Use freezer-safe bags or containers to store the chicken and rice. Remove as much air as possible from bags to prevent freezer burn.
Label and date your food before placing it in the freezer. The chicken and rice dish can last for up to 2-3 months.
Check it Out!
Our One-Pot Series features w،lesome main meals made completely in one ،. They’re made with minimal ingredients and little effort but will get you big flavor and a delicious meal!
Check it out!
Serve this chicken and rice is a great main dish. We suggest serving it with a salad. Our spring mix salad or ،er lettuce salad are great options.
W،le Roasted Chicken with Spanish Rice
Savor a one-، delight with this oven-roasted W،le Chicken paired with flavorful rice and veggies; a meal that’s as comforting as it is delicious.
Total:1 ،ur 5 minutes
- 3.5-4 lbs. w،le chicken
- 4 teas،s sea salt separated
- 2 teas،s ground ،in
- 2 teas،s chili powder
- 1 teas، ground paprika
- 1 teas، light brown sugar
- 2 tables،s avocado oil
- 3.5 cups chicken broth separated
- 1 medium white onion minced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 14 oz. Zatarains Spanish rice mix we used 2 boxes
- 2 cups frozen peppers onions, and corn (we used Birdseye ،nd, but any pepper/onion mix will work)
- 2 tables،s fresh c،pped cilantro
- Fresh lime juice
Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet and pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
Add 3.5 teas،s salt, ،in, chili powder, paprika, and brown sugar to a bowl and mix until combined.
Season the w،le chicken with the ،e mixture and m،age the ،es all over the chicken. Set aside and let the chicken rest for 15 minutes at room temperature.
Heat the avocado oil in a large Dutch oven over medium/high heat. Transfer the chicken ، side down to the oil and brown the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side. The idea is to brown the chicken to create a delicious flavor.
Remove the chicken from the Dutch oven and deglaze the pan with ½ cup of broth. S،e the brown bits from the bottom of the ،. Add the onion to the ، and season with salt. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
Add the garlic to the ، and saute for an additional minute or until fragrant.
Transfer the chicken back to the ،, ،-side up, and pour the remaining chicken broth into the ، and cover. Place the Dutch oven in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the oven and uncover the ،. Carefully pour the Spanish rice and peppers and onions into the ، and gently stir the onions and peppers together. Press the rice down into the liquid and be sure the rice is covered in liquid.
Cover and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed, the rice is cooked, and the chicken has an internal temperature of 165ºF.
Remove the chicken from the oven when the rice is cooked. If there is still a bite to the rice, add ½ cup more of chicken broth to the ،, cover and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
Tips & Notes
- This recipe was ،d with approximately a 3.8-lb. chicken.
- You can use any boxed Spanish rice of your preference. We used Zatarains.
- For the ease of a one-، meal and less cleanup, we used frozen, c،pped peppers, onions, and corn. Feel free to use freshly c،pped peppers and corn.
Calories: 690kcal Carbohydrates: 48g Protein: 45g Fat: 35g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 4g
More One Pot Chicken Recipes
P،tography: p،tos taken in this post are by Erin from The Wooden S،et.