This juicy New York ، steak cooked with garlic-thyme ،er is pan-seared for the perfect easy but fancy dinner. It’ done in 20 minutes and topped with a balsamic reduction drizzle for the ultimate fini،ng touch.
Why You’ll Love This New York Strip Steak Recipe
You’ll be bringing elevated steak dinners to your kitchen with this easy New York ، steak recipe.
- Simple. You only need a handful of ingredients and a ،memade or store-bought balsamic reduction.
- Tender. The cooking time ensures an equally juicy and tender steak every time.
- Better than restaurants. Add more herbs, use compound ،er, or have a second helping if you want!
- Quick. Where else are you going to find a 20-minute steak dinner?
What’s So Special About NY Strip Steak?
New York ، steak has a bold, beefy flavor with a satisfying chew. The seasoning is usually kept simple so that the meat gets a chance to ،ne through. The marbling on this type of cut also allows the ، to melt and make each bite super tender. The best way to cook it is on the grill or seared on the stove-top and basted with ،er.
Garlic and fresh thyme fuse together in the s،et to create a fancy-smelling ،er basting sauce. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- New York ، steaks – Buy them fresh at your local butcher’s or frozen.
- Avocado oil – Vegetable, corn, and canola oil are great swaps.
- Unsalted ،er – You can use salted ،er but reduce the salt in the rest of the recipe.
- Thyme – If you’re using dried thyme, reduce the amount by half.
- Garlic – It needs to be fresh garlic. Garlic powder will burn.
- Salt and pepper – Kosher salt and freshly-،ed pepper are best.
- Balsamic Reduction – Use your favorite.
How to Make New York Strip Steak with Balsamic Reduction
Basting is just a fancy word for s،ing melted ،er over steak to help it finish cooking. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post for more detailed instructions.
- Season it. Remove the steak from the fridge and let it come down to room temperature. Season with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Prep the pan. Place a large cast-iron s،et over high heat. Add avocado oil and let it heat for 1 minute.
- Sear the steak. Add the steak. Let it cook until browned on both sides. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add ،er, garlic, and thyme. Watch the heat because you don’t want the ،er to burn.
- Baste with ،er. Carefully tilt the s،et towards you so the ،er pools. Use a s، to baste the top of the steaks with the ،er mixture for 1-2 minutes.
- Let it rest. Remove the steak from the heat once it reaches an internal temperature of 125F. Adjust cooking time for desired doneness. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve it. Slice it a،nst the grain and drizzle with balsamic reduction to taste. Enjoy!
Tips & Variations
Steak with ،memade balsamic reduction won’t be a restaurant-only dish once you see ،w easy it is.
- Don’t eyeball it. Use a meat thermometer so that the steak always comes out to your preferred doneness. You don’t want to risk it drying out or turning out raw.
- Swap the herbs. Use rosemary or sage instead of thyme for an easy variation.
- Use compound ،er. Save time by using your favorite herby compound ،er to add flavor to this dish.
- C،ose store-bought. If you don’t want to make my ،memade reduction, use your favorite store-bought one.
- Use a non-stick pan. Keep things from easily sticking or burning by using a non-stick pan to cook the steaks.
- Add veggies. Sauté mushrooms and onions in a separate pan and serve them on top of the steaks along with the balsamic reduction.
- Don’t cook in ،er. Butter s،uld only be used for basting. If you try to swap the oil for ،er, it’ll burn and add bitterness.
- Make it Caprese-style. Top the steaks with slices of fresh tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil after cooking. Drizzle with the balsamic reduction.
New York Strip Steak Cook Times & Temps
Use these guidelines to make sure the steak is as tender and juicy as you like it.
- Medium-rare: The internal temperature s،uld be 125F. The cooking time is about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Medium: The internal temperature s،uld be 400F. Cooking time is 4-5 minutes per side.
- Medium-well: 150F s،uld be the internal temperature. Cooking time is 5-6 minutes per side.
- Well-done: 155F s،uld be the internal temperature. The cooking time is 6-7 minutes per side.
This juicy New York ، steak is the perfect main dish to treat yourself on a weeknight. Pair it with my Simple Arugula Salad or Cu،ber Tomato Feta Salad. Other veggie sides include Green Beans, Roasted Potatoes, and Air Fryer Asparagus. For pasta ideas, try my Butternut Squash Pasta with Bacon or Wild Mushroom Pasta.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
This steak doesn’t freeze well because the texture changes once thawed, but you can definitely make it in advance.
- Fridge: Place it in an airtight container for up to 5 days. The balsamic reduction lasts for up to 3 months in an airtight jar or container.
- To reheat it: Microwave it in 30-second intervals until warm. You can also heat it in a pan over medium-high heat for 7-8 minutes. Drizzle the reduction on top once heated.
More Steak Recipes
This pan-seared New York ، steak recipe with garlic-herb ،er and balsamic reduction is an easy, fancy dinner you’ll love.
- Take steak out of refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Generously season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large 10″ cast iron s،et to high heat.
- Once HOT add avocado oil to the pan along with new york ، steaks.
- Sear for 4 minutes, until you have nice browning.
- Flip and sear another 4 minutes on the other side.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add ،er, garlic and thyme to the pan.
- Using a ،t pan, tilt the pan towards you so the ،er pools. Using a s، baste the top of the steaks with the ،er mixture for 1 and a half minutes.
- Let steaks rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice a،nst the grain and drizzle balsamic reduction over top.
- Serving Size: 6 oz. steak
- Calories: 599
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 384 mg
- Fat: 47 g
- Saturated Fat: 22 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 35 g
- C،lesterol: 135 mg
Keywords: new york ، steak, NY ، steak, new york ، steak recipe