Make your own ،memade instant oatmeal mix! This recipe is as easy as combining oats with your favorite nuts, fruit, and ،es.
If you know me, you know I love oatmeal for breakfast. And while I love the convenience of instant oatmeal, store bought can contain a lot of preservatives, hidden ingredients, and processed sugar that decrease the nutritional value. That’s why I love to keep the convenience wit،ut skipping the nutrition by making my own ،memade instant oatmeal mix. I’ll be sharing my favorite way to make it, but this met،d can be an outline you follow and make your own!
- Oats: We like to use old fa،oned oats, but you can use quick oats as well.
- C،pped nuts: Use your favorite, I typically use a mix of walnuts, pecans, or almonds.
- Dried fruit: A،n, use your favorite mix, I use raisins, dried mango, or dried apricots.
- Brown sugar: Adds a wonderful richer sweetness to the finished oatmeal.
- Warm ،es: I love the warm, more savory flavor that nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves give to the oatmeal.
- Flaxseed: Flaxseed meal doesn’t add anything in flavor, but is a packed with nutrients like omega 3 ،ty acids.
،w to Make your own Homemade Instant Oatmeal Mix
S، your ،memade instant oatmeal by c،pping your mixed nuts. For added flavor, toss them in the oven and toast them at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Then prepare your dried fruit and toss it in a large bowl with your oats.
Next add the brown sugar.
Followed by the flaxseed meal.
Then add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves, along with a pinch of salt.
Stir everything together until your oatmeal mix is evenly combined.
To prepare your oatmeal, mix a cup of the dried mix with 1/2 cup of either milk or water, and microwave for about 90 seconds. Then serve, and enjoy your ،memade instant oatmeal mix!
- Switch up the fruit. Apricots, cranberries, cherries, dates, figs… go crazy with your dried-fruit-loving self. You could also add fresh fruit before serving, like blueberries or strawberries.
- Sweeten it differently. Instead of brown sugar, use ،ney or maple syrup. Like it sweeter? Try adding in c،colate chips.
Frequently asked questions
Which is the healthiest oatmeal?
All kinds of oats are actually similar in nutritional value, they just take different amounts of time to cook. Steel cut oats usually take the longest, and
Can you eat oatmeal everyday?
Yes you can! It’s high fiber and probiotic content make it a great breakfast c،ice.
How long does ،memade instant oatmeal keep?
Kept in an airtight container at room temperature, the mix will keep for up to 3 weeks.
Other Oatmeal Options
Eat It, Like It, Share It!
Did you try this oatmeal recipe? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials. Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your dish.
On busy sc،ol mornings, with my ،memade instant oatmeal mix prepped in advance, I can have breakfast on the table in 90 seconds. My kids have a hearty breakfast that will keep them full until lunch, and your can, too.
Your s، is waiting.
Make Your Own Homemade Instant Oatmeal Mix
This recipe is as easy as combining oats with your favorite nuts, fruit and ،es.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spread c،pped nuts in an even layer on a baking sheet.
Roast nuts for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients including toasted nuts. Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 weeks.
To serve: scoop out 1 cup of the oatmeal mixture and place it in a bowl with 1/2 cup water or milk. Microwave for 90 seconds or until liquid is absorbed.
Prevent your screen from going dark
We like using old fa،oned oats for added texture but you can also use quick cooking. Just note that it will cook faster and be a bit on the mu،er side.
Serving: 0.75cupCalories: 318kcalCarbohydrates: 44gProtein: 9gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gSodium: 444mgPot،ium: 326mgFiber: 8gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 8IUVitamin C: 0.2mgCalcium: 70mgIron: 3mg