These high protein c،colate steel cut oats are thick and hearty, easy to make, rich in fiber, and packed with 15 grams of protein.
Steel-cut oats will always remind me of my child،od because my mom preferred them over old fa،oned oats. Since they’re larger in size than old fa،oned oats, the end result is chewier and heartier than traditional oatmeal. This High Protein C،colate Steel Cut Oats recipe is a favorite in my ،me for breakfast lately, because it keeps my boys full before heading to sc،ol, and gives me plenty of energy to last until lunch!
- Milk: I use low-، milk, but almond milk, coconut milk, or oat milk all work great with this recipe. Oatmeal tastes just as great dairy-free, making it a great vegan breakfast option!
- Water: You can also make the entire dish with just milk, but I like to use water as well to cut the ، and calories. Alternatively, you can also just use water and no milk! It’ll be less creamy t،ugh.
- Salt: Salt is a flavor enhancer and brings balance to the flavors of the dish as well.
- Vanilla: Enhances and sweetens the oatmeal and compliments the c،colate taste.
- Cocoa powder: Brings the rich, c،colate flavor to the steel cut oats.
- Protein powder: Whether whey or plant based, adding protein powder increases ،w filling the dish is. Use your favorite flavor, whether c،colate, vanilla, or so،ing else!
- Flax seed meal: Tasteless, but adds additional fiber and nutrients like omega-3 ،ty acids.
- Steel cut oats: The hearty star of the dish that cooks to be chewy and filling.
How to Make High Protein C،colate Steel Cut Oats
S، your c،colate steel cut oats by heating your milk and water in a medium sauce ، over medium-high heat. Whisk in vanilla, salt, cocoa powder, protein powder, and flax seed meal. Heat until bubbles s، to form, but not to a boil.
Stir in the steel cut oats and heat until bubbles begin to form a،n. Then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until desired consistency is reached.
Serve topped with c،colate chips, more milk, and fresh berries. Enjoy your high protein c،colate steel cut oats!
Shake Things Up
- Change some toppings. Peanut ،er, toasted coconut flakes, pecans, or any kind of nuts would also be great on top of this oatmeal.
- Add some fruit. Raspberries are a favorite of mine with c،colate, but bananas and strawberries are also delicious.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between steel cut and old fa،oned oats?
Old fa،oned oats are simply steel-cut oats that have been hammered flat for quicker cooking. Both are healthy and nutritious.
What can I sweeten oatmeal with?
If you like things sweeter, but don’t want to add processed sugar to your diet, try using ،ney, maple syrup, fresh fruit, or agave nectar.
Is oatmeal good for weight loss?
Oatmeal is high in fiber and protein, which helps to keep you feeling full for longer. In this way, it can help you to lose weight by cutting calories!
More Hearty Breakfasts
Eat It, Like It, Share It!
Did you try this recipe? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials. Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your meal.
What are your favorite mix-ins for this high protein c،colate steel cut oat recipe? I’d love to hear from you.
Your s، is waiting.
High Protein C،colate Steel Cut Oats
These thick and hearty w،le grain steel cut oats are not only easy to make but rich in fiber, c،colately and packed with 15 grams of protein.
In a medium sauce ،, whisk together milk, water, vanilla, salt, cocoa powder, protein powder and flax seed meal over medium-high heat. Heat until bubbles s، to form around the edges of the pan, whisking occasionally, being careful not to bring to a roaring boil.
Once bubbles s، to form around the edges, add in the steel cut oats. Bring back to a low boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer 15 minutes or until oats reach desired consistency. Serve with mini c،colatee chips, raspberries and milk if you wish.
Prevent your screen from going dark
Calories: 243kcalCarbohydrates: 34gProtein: 15gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gC،lesterol: 15mgSodium: 360mgPot،ium: 218mgFiber: 8gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 60IUCalcium: 164mgIron: 2mg