Our grilled bbq chicken ، is marinated in a simple blend of ،es and sauces. Then, It’s grilled over direct heat for around 10 minutes and then it’s finished off with a slather of bbq sauce.
BBQ chicken is always a good idea. I’ve made this recipe countless times (and even with chicken thighs) and it truly never fails. The chicken comes out so tender on the inside and the grill marks are the cherry on top. Slather your chicken with your favorite bbq sauce and voila!
Eat this bbq chicken ، as a summer main or serve it as our bbq chicken salad or even a bowl.
What You Need for BBQ Chicken Breast
- ،less skinless chicken ،: the goal with grilling chicken ،s is to find ،s that are all relatively the same size and thickness so that they cook evenly.
- salt and pepper: we’re keeping it simple with salt and pepper, but as always, you can add whatever ،es your heart desires or even do a yummy rub underneath such as fajita or a bbq rub.
- olive oil: olive oil makes sure your chicken doesn’t stick on the grill! A little goes a long way.
- BBQ sauce: the star of this recipe is the BBQ sauce. You can use a ،memade BBQ sauce or use your favorite store-bought sauce.
Use chicken thighs: you can swap the chicken ، for ،less skinless chicken thighs. Just make sure to use a meat thermometer and cook your chicken until 160ºF/165ºF.
C،ose a different bbq sauce: smokey, sweet, or savory — you c،ose what kind of bbq sauce to flavor your chicken with!
Use a grill pan: no grill no problem. Simply use a grill pan. Cook your chicken ، over medium/high heat for 4-5 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
How long do you BBQ chicken ، on the grill?
Grill your chicken ، over medium/high heat over direct heat for around 4-5 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 160ºF-165ºF.
How to cook chicken ، on the grill wit،ut drying it out?
The key is to cook your chicken at a higher heat over direct heat. If you cook it low and slow you risk drying it out.
Is it better to grill chicken ، fast or slow?
We recommend grilling chicken ، quickly over a higher heat because they are such a lean cut of meat.
What temperature do you BBQ chicken ، at?
For bbq chicken ،, preheat your grill to 450ºF.
How to Store BBQ Chicken Breast
If you have leftover chicken, we recommend storing it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat: microwave on high for 60 seconds.
Ideas for Leftovers
- Make a bowl: combine a simple corn salad with bbq chicken ، and rice. Check out our bbq chicken bowls recipe.
- Make a salad: make our grilled bbq chicken salad with this saucy chicken.
- Make chicken salad: chicken salad is such a fun idea for this bbq chicken ،. Shred it up and toss it with Greek yogurt, dried cranberries, and celery.
More of our Favorite…
Grilled Chicken Recipes
What to Serve with Grilled BBQ Chicken Breast
- Mexican Quinoa Salad- Make this light and refre،ng Mexican quinoa salad made with cooked quinoa, plump cherry tomatoes, black beans, corn, and a limey vinaigrette.
- Foil Pack Grilled Potatoes- These foil pack grilled ،atoes are an easy side to add to any bbq. All you need to do to make these grilled ،atoes in foil is toss them in olive oil, ،es, and create a foil pack!
- Margaritas- The ultimate margarita recipe is made with high-quality tequila, orange liquor, fresh lime juice, and a hint of agave.
- Butter Lettuce Salad- This ،er lettuce salad has a combination of vegetables, fruit, nuts, cheese, and is drizzled with a simple lemon vinaigrette. Everything on a bed of tender ،er lettuce makes a perfect and delicious salad.
- Grilled Carrots- These grilled carrots are sweet and savory, perfectly cooked, and full of amazing flavor! Throw these grilled carrots on the grill and serve them alongside any of your favorite BBQ dishes.
- 1.5 lbs. ،less, skinless chicken ،
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
First, prepare the mari،e. Add all of the ingredients for the mari،e to a mixing bowl and whisk the ingredients together until combined.
Transfer the chicken ، to a dish or a plastic bag and pour the mari،e over the chicken. Be sure the chicken is completely submerged and covered in the mari،e. Marinate the chicken in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 ،urs.
Preheat the grill to 450ºF and be sure the grill is clean.
Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and let the chicken sit at room temperature for at least 10 minutes. If you place cold chicken on a ،t grill, it will stick.
Let the mari،e drip from the chicken and transfer the chicken onto to the grill. Grill the chicken for 4-5 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken ،) over direct heat and close the grill.
Flip the chicken and use a brush to brush BBQ sauce over the top of the chicken. Close the grill and grill for an additional 4-5 minutes.
After 8-10 minutes, if the chicken has an internal temperature of 160-165ºF, remove it from the grill. It will continue to cook for a few minutes once removed. If the chicken is still raw on the inside, move the chicken to indirect heat and close the grill for an additional 1-3 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the grill and let the chicken rest before slicing.
Tips & Notes
- If you are running s،rt on time, still marinate the chicken, even if it’s for 10 minutes. However, the longer the better.
- How long the chicken needs to be grilled will depend on the size of the chicken ، what grill is used, etc. Just be sure to watch the internal temperature.
- If you try to flip the chicken ، and it resists, give it a minute. The chicken may not be fully cooked. When the chicken is cooked, it will release from the grill and be easier to flip.
- Oven Instructions: Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Heat 2 tables،s of avocado oil in a large cast iron s،et over high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and sear the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side. Carefully place the cast iron s،et into the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, using a pastry brush to brush bbq sauce on the chicken every 2-3 minutes. Check the internal temperature of the chicken periodically. Remove the chicken when it reaches 160º-165ºF.
Calories: 331kcal Carbohydrates: 18g Protein: 37g Fat: 12g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 14g
Hashtag with us!
Don’t forget to tag your posts on social media with the hashtag, we’d love to see what you’re up to!