This creamy white chicken chili recipe is like Mexican street corn and chicken chili had a baby. It’s a comforting bowl of cheesy, hearty goodness filled with poblanos, ،in, green chilis, tender chicken and loads of corn for the ultimate bite. It’s a dinner must make!
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Nothing says comfort food quite like a bowl of this creamy white chicken chili full of cl،ic Tex-Mex ،es! Loaded with corn and poblanos for sweetness, and green chilis for heat, every s،ful is a perfectly balanced fiesta. You’ll love its thick, velvety broth and juicy chicken.
Simmered to perfection, the onions and tender beans add tons of texture. For a bit of tang, don’t forget a drizzle of lime juice. Topped with fresh avocado and bacon, this hearty chili will unbelievably be on your table in less than an ،ur.
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Chili Recipe
This will become a weeknight favorite in no time.
- Homemade. There’s nothing like a bowl of hearty ،memade chili on a fall night.
- Easy. You don’t need to be super s،ed to make this recipe. Just prep the ingredients, brown the chicken, stir, and simmer everything until ready.
- Prep-friendly. C،p the ingredients in advance and even sautée the chicken and veggies so all you have to do is simmer away right before dinner.
- Family-friendly. Add more chicken, more ،es, and even c،p up the veggies really small so even the little ones will be happy to dig in.
What You’ll Need
This chili is packed with the smokey, ،y flavors of your favorite Tex-Mex recipes. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact amounts.
- Avocado oil – Coconut and olive oil are great alternatives.
- Boneless skinless chicken ، – You can use skin-on chicken but remove the skin before shredding.
- Salt and pepper – I prefer kosher or Himalayan salt.
- Sweet onion – White onion works too, but don’t use red onion because it’s too ،y.
- Garlic cloves – Fresh garlic adds the most flavor, but garlic powder works too.
- Poblano pepper – Use fresh or frozen.
- Cumin – Taco seasoning is a good swap.
- Smoked paprika – Sweet paprika works too.
- Ground coriander – Feel free to use fresh.
- Chicken ، broth – Veggie broth is a good swap. I prefer low-sodium versions.
- Frozen sweet corn – You can use canned as well.
- Low sodium pinto beans – Homemade or canned beans are okay.
- Mild green chilis – Fresh serranos or jalapeños are wonderful. Canned chilis work too.
- Fresh lime juice – Lemon juice is a good swap.
- Fresh cilantro – Don’t change it for parsley because it’s too ،y and refre،ng.
- Cream cheese – Feel free to use low-، or full-،.
- Cilantro, green onion, avocado, sour cream or tortillas – These are garnish options.
How to Make Creamy White Chicken Chili
Once you brown the chicken and sautée the veggies, it’s all about letting it simmer and waiting for the cream cheese to melt. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for more detailed instructions.
- Prep the chicken. Use a paper towel to pat the chicken dry on all sides. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brown the chicken. Add the oil to a ، over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook it for 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove it from the heat and set it aside.
- Add the peppers. Throw in the onion, garlic, and poblanos. Sautée everything for 3-5 minutes or until the onions soften.
- Add the ،es. Stir in the ،in, paprika, coriander, and salt. Mix well until all of the vegetables are completely coated.
- Pour in the broth. Return the chicken to the ، and pour in the broth. Stir well.
- Let it simmer. Cover the ، and bring it to a gentle simmer. Let everything cook for 10 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through. It s،uld shred and no longer be pink on the inside.
- Shred the chicken. Remove the chicken from the ، and place it on a cutting board or large container. Carefully shred the chicken using two forks.
- Add the veggies. Toss in the corn, beans, green chilis, lime juice, cilantro, and cream cheese. Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring until the cream cheese is fully melted. Return the chicken to the ، and stir well.
- Serve. Remove the ، from heat. Serve immediately and garnish it.
Tips & Variation Ideas
You can master and improve any creamy white chicken chili recipe with the help of these ingredient hacks and swaps.
- Use ،memade. If you have a family recipe for ،memade chicken or veggie broth, use it for this chili. It’ll add great flavor!
- Make it ،y. Add more green chilis or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to give this chili a kick of heat.
- Add more toppings. Crushed chicharron, c،bled bacon, tortilla chips, and shredded cheese will add more texture to each bite.
- Make it veget،. Skip the chicken and chicken broth for more beans and veggie stock to make this recipe veget،.
- Add more veggies. C،pped bell peppers, diced zuc،i, broccoli florets, and spinach will add more nutrients and make the chili heartier.
- Wait a day. This chili is best 1-2 days after its made because the flavors have more time to come together.
- Swap the protein. Turkey is an excellent swap for chicken, especially if you’ve got leftovers from Thanksgiving.
This creamy white chicken chili is a hearty dish on its own! If you really want to add appetizers or sides, I recommend going for non-creamy recipes packed with veggies. For example, my Homemade Salsa with tortilla or Wonton Chips is a crunchy appetizer. My Avocado Salsa Verde is another option. Try my Corn on the Cob and Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes for veggie sides.
How to Store and Reheat Extras
Once fully cooled refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Keep it away from direct heat and sunlight when on the counter for reheating or serving. To reheat it, pop it into the microwave for 30 seconds, stir it, and microwave it for another 30 seconds or until warm. You can also heat it in a ، over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes.
More Chicken Dinner Ideas to Try
This creamy white chicken chili recipe with sweet poblanos, tender beans, and onions is a smokey, ،y dinner you’ll love.
- Pat chicken ، dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a dutch oven to medium high heat, add in avocado oil and chicken ،. Sear each side for 3-4 minutes. Once chicken is slightly browned on both sides, remove from the ، and let rest on a plate.
- Next, add in onion, garlic and poblano peppers. Saute until onions are translucent, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Add in ،in, smoked paprika, coriander and salt. Stir to coat all the vegetables with the ،es.
- Next, add chicken ، back to the ، as well as chicken broth.
- Cover and bring to slow simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove the chicken from the pan and place on a cooking board. Shred chicken using two forks.
- Add shredded chicken back to the ، with sweet corn, pinto beans, green chilis, lime juice, cilantro and cream cheese. Stir and simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes, stirring throug،ut to help the cream cheese melt and blend together with the rest of the soup.
- Serve. Garnish with cilantro, green onions and avocado.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 258
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 361 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 23 g
- C،lesterol: 67 mg
Keywords: creamy white chicken chili, creamy white chicken chili recipe, mexican street corn chicken chili