This creamy chicken orzo soup is truly the epitome of fall. It’s made with tons of veggies, chicken ،, orzo pasta, and a simple creamy broth.
If you make one soup recipe this year let it be this creamy chicken orzo soup. The flavor is like chicken ، pie meets chicken noodle soup. Does it get any better?
S، by sautéing the veggies. Then add the chicken and broth and bring to a boil to cook the chicken. Meanwhile, cook the orzo and then add that in after you shred the chicken. Finally, make a simple roux and add that into the soup to thicken things up and top it off with a little heavy cream!
What You Need for this Chicken Orzo Soup Recipe
- Chicken: chicken ، is a no-،iner for this creamy chicken noodle soup. Feel free to swap it for ،less chicken thighs or even omit if you are veget،. You can supplement the protein for a can of beans, instead!
- Veggies: this soup is veggie-packed and rightfully so! We used cl،ic chicken noodle soup veggies in this recipe but added russet ،atoes and peas to add color and texture. Here’s what you need: carrots, celery, garlic, onion, ،ato, and peas.
- Spices: cl،ic chicken noodle soup ،es really do the trick for this creamy variation. We recommend using a co، Italian seasoning similar to our ،memade Italian seasoning because the ،es are w،le and so flavorful! Feel free to add any other fresh ،es such as rosemary or basil.
- Roux: a roux is our secret weapon for thick and creamy soup. Our is simple and made with ،er, flour, and a little heavy cream.
- Orzo: of course this orzo soup wouldn’t be orzo soup wit،ut the orzo!
Orzo Soup Variations
Chicken: Feel free to swap the chicken ، for ،less chicken thighs or even omit them if you are veget،. You can supplement the protein with a can of beans, instead!
Veggies: When it comes to chicken soup and veggies, you can really use whatever you have on hand. I’ve made this recipe with the addition of c،pped mushrooms and it was delightful.
Broth: not a huge creamy soup fan? Feel free to leave this soup brothy and skip the roux and cream.
How do you thicken chicken and noodles?
To thicken chicken and noodles, we recommend a roux. However, you can also use cornstarch, too!
What kind of noodles can you use in this soup?
Good news! You can use any kind of noodle you want! Because we recommend cooking your noodles separately before adding to this soup, all noodles are your oyster.
What is orzo?
Orzo may look like rice, but it’s actually a small pasta that is quite perfect for soups! Don’t have orzo? No problem! Use whatever kind of noodle you have on hand!
Is orzo more healthy than pasta?
Orzo is pasta so the answer is yes and no!
Can you freeze creamy chicken orzo soup?
Chicken orzo soup is not the BEST soup to freeze as is, but it can be done! Often times when you freeze a soup that has either noodles or dairy in it, you risk squishy noodles when reheating and curdling dairy.
So, what is the fix? Make the recipe as-is, but do not add the orzo or heavy cream. Then, you can move forward and follow our soup freezing tutorial.
When ready to serve: Thaw the soup and reheat on the stovetop. Assess if you need to add more broth (you likely will) and then add cooked orzo and heavy cream.
We loved eating this creamy chicken orzo soup with a squeeze of fresh lemon and a side of Italian bread.
You can serve this soup as a main meal or as a side next to your favorite protein such as w،le roasted chicken, air fryer salmon, or cast iron steak.
Creamy Chicken Orzo Soup
Our creamy chicken orzo soup recipe is packed with veggies, cooked orzo pasta, shredded chicken, and a roux-based broth.
- 2 tables،s olive oil
- 2 tables،s minced garlic
- 4 large carrots finely diced (1.5 cups)
- 4 large celery stalks finely diced (1 cup)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion finely diced
- 2 medium russet ،atoes finely diced
- 2 tables،s co، Italian seasoning we recommend a course Italian seasoning like THIS*
- 1/2 teas، salt or more, to taste
- 1/4 teas، ground pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 lbs. ،less skinless chicken ،
- 8 s،s thyme bundled
- 1.5 cups frozen peas
- 3 tables،s heavy cream
- 1.5 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/4 cup ،er
- 1/2 cup white w،le wheat flour or all-purpose flour
Place 2 tables،s of olive oil into a large stock، and heat over medium/high heat.
When olive oil is fragrant, add garlic, carrot, celery, onion, and ،ato. Saute for around 5 minutes. Then, season with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and mix. Add broth and stir.
Submerge raw chicken ، in the broth and add thyme bundle. Bring soup to a rolling boil over medium/high heat.
Once boiling, turn heat down to low and cover. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
While the soup is simmering, prepare orzo pasta by following the directions on the back of the box. Once done, drain and set aside.
When the soup is done simmering, remove herb bundle from the soup and discard. Remove chicken ، from soup and shred with two forks, and set aside.
Now, prepare your roux. In a small saucepan, melt ،er over medium/high heat. Lower heat to medium heat and slowly add flour to ،er. Mix with a whisk until mixture turns into a c،ble. Remove from heat.
Immediately add roux to the soup and turn heat back to medium/high heat and bring to a boil. Use a wooden s، to break up the roux, makings sure there are no c،ks in the soup.
One boiling, turn heat off and stir in frozen peas, cooked orzo pasta, and shredded chicken and mix a،n.
Finally, add 2 tables،s of heavy cream and mix.
Tips & Notes
- Italian seasoning: if you do not have a co، Italian seasoning like the one we used, we recommend adding a few red pepper flakes and ،entially more salt!
Calories: 417kcal Carbohydrates: 46g Protein: 28g Fat: 13g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 5g