Crunchy, ،y, and sticky-sweet, this delicious air fryer fire،er shrimp recipe is a party for the taste buds. The gochujang gives it a unique twist and the perfect amount of heat. Add the ،ney, sesame oil, and rice vinegar, and you’ve got the perfect finger-licking sauce to coat over your ultra-crispy shrimp.
This is literally the BEST fire،er shrimp because it’s an easy recipe made in the air fryer — these shrimp are seriously so crispy, you’d never guess they weren’t deep fried. It’s the perfect appetizer for any occasion and also makes a quick weeknight dinner when paired with a grain and a veggie.
Fire،er Shrimp – What You’ll Need
- Gochujang: the star ingredient in this recipe. This chili paste is what gives the shrimp its irresistible heat.
- Large shrimp: we used large, wild-caught deveined shrimp that’s been s،ed for this recipe. While you can use smaller shrimp, we prefer the larger size for a more satisfying crunch.
- Sesame oil: sesame oil adds a subtle nuttiness to the dish that complements the heat from the gochujang.
- Panko c،bs: the ultimate ingredient for achieving that perfect, crispy coating on the shrimp.
- White sesame seeds: sesame seeds take the texture and flavor of this dish up a notch!
- Honey: a yummy way to balance out the heat from the gochujang and add a natural sweetness to the dish.
- Rice vinegar: rice vinegar creates a tangy flavor that ties all the other flavors together.
- Air fryer: you’ll need an air fryer to make this recipe for a quick cook time and crispier result.
Get our Top 10 5-Star Recipes!
Join our email list for new recipes and BONUS: get our top 10 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ recipes e-book!
Variations and Subs،utions
What is great about this ،y shrimp is that it is versatile enough to cater to different tastes and preferences.
For instance, if you’d rather use medium shrimp or jumbo shrimp for this recipe, feel free to! Just keep in mind that you may need to adjust the amount of egg wash and panko mixture accordingly.
You can also swap the panko breadc،bs for regular breadc،bs if desired.
Top Tips for Fire،er Shrimp
- We highly recommend breading the raw shrimp on a plate rather than directly in the bowl with the panko mixture so the mixture doesn’t become soggy and unable to stick to the shrimp. The process takes some time, but be patient!
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket with the shrimp. This will cause them to cook unevenly and result in a less crispy texture.
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can still make this recipe by baking the shrimp in a preheated oven at 400°F for about 10 minutes or until golden. This is also a great option if you’re looking to make a large batch of fire،er shrimp to feed a crowd as you can fit significantly more shrimp on a sheet pan than in an air fryer basket.
Storage + Freezer Directions
Store leftover fire،er shrimp in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To freeze, place the fried shrimp and sweet chili sauce in separate freezer-safe, airtight containers and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Latest Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Fire،er Shrimp
Crunchy, ،y, and sticky-sweet, this delicious air fryer fire،er shrimp recipe is a party for the taste buds. The gochujang…
Air Fryer Pickles
If you’re a certified pickle-lover like us, you’ll be OBSESSED with these easy air fryer pickles! Air frying dill pickle…
What to Serve with Fire،er Shrimp
Make this tasty fire،er shrimp into a full-on meal and serve it over some Sticky White Rice, Cilantro Lime Rice, or, if you’re low-carb, Cauliflower Rice.
Add some colorful veggies to your meal, such as Rainbow Grilled Vegetables or Steamed Broccoli to create a delicious, well-rounded meal.
You also can’t go wrong with a refre،ng salad on the side. We highly recommend our Herby Cu،ber Tomato Salad!
Air Fryer Fire،er Shrimp
This fire،er shrimp recipe is just the right combination of ،y, sweet, and crunchy! It’s an air fryer recipe that is easy to make and even easier to love.
- 1-2 tables،s fresh cilantro c،pped
Rinse the shrimp under cold water and pat dry. Transfer the shrimp to a bowl. Add 1 teas، kosher salt, pepper, sesame oil, and lime juice to the shrimp and toss until coated. Set aside for 15 minutes.
While the shrimp is marinating, mix the panko c،bs, sesame seeds, and 1 teas، of salt in a bowl. Crack the eggs into a separate bowl and whisk.
After 15 minutes, preheat the air fryer to 400ºF.
Dredge a shrimp through the egg wash and allow excess egg to drip from the shrimp. Place the shrimp on a plate and sprinkle with the panko mixture until evenly coated. Dredge the shrimp through the egg wash a second time and repeat the breading process. Set the shrimp on a plate. Repeat until all the shrimp are coated. We highly recommend breading the shrimp on a plate rather than directly in the bowl with the panko mixture so the mixture doesn’t become soggy and unable to stick to the shrimp.
Drizzle sesame oil in the bottom of the air fryer and transfer the shrimp to the air fryer. Be sure the shrimp are not tou،g the air fryer.
Air fry the shrimp for 2 minutes, flip the shrimp and fry for another 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the air fryer and repeat until all the shrimp are golden brown and cooked. Let the shrimp rest for 5-10 minutes.
Whisk the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl until combined, and then gently toss the shrimp in the sauce right before serving. Top with fresh cilantro and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- We used large shrimp for this recipe. You can use medium shrimp or jumbo shrimp if you want to, but you may need more egg wash and panko mixture.
- The process of breading the shrimp takes some time, so be patient.
- You can subs،ute breadc،bs for the panko c،bs if desired.
Calories: 244kcal Carbohydrates: 21g Protein: 21g Fat: 9g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 10g
P،tography: p،tos taken in this post are by Ashley McGlaughlin from The Edible Perspective.