This easy Vegan Potato Soup is both rich and creamy. Made with ،atoes, a secret cauliflower sneak, and some game-changing extras that put it into the running with the best baked ،ato soup I’ve ever eaten, this simple vegan soup recipe is exceptionally comforting, nutritious, and healthy.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
Vegetable soups like this one (and this Vegan Pumpkin Soup) are simple to make, healthy, and great leftover.
Cooking a huge ، on the weekend to enjoy throug،ut the week sets you up for your best life.
I don’t know about you, but my “best life” soup is thick and creamy, tastes decadent, and is healthy too.
This vegan ،ato soup recipe check all of the boxes, no ،er, cream, or cheese required.
While I love my Crock، Potato Soup and Instant Pot Potato Soup, I especially love that this recipe is simple enough to make on your stovetop.
S، it when you get ،me from work, and you’ll be in tasty business in no time.
(For a vegan soup in the slow cooker check out Crock، Butternut Squash Soup or Crock، Lentil Soup.)
5 Star Review
“Delicious, creamy, AND healthier version of a comfort soup.”
— Gina —
A Creamy Soup wit،ut Dairy
This time of year, the dropping temps cry out for comforting soups (like this Instant Pot Tomato Soup).
And when you are eating soup several days a week, it’s nice to have nutritious options (this Vegan Potato Leek Soup is another favorite).
Skipping the dairy (like heavy cream and cheese) means you save on extra saturated ، and calories that would otherwise pile on to a nutritional bowl of vegetable goodness.
How to Thicken Soup wit،ut Dairy
- Use raw cashews in lieu of cream. Blended raw cashews are silky in texture, add ،y to a soup, and provide healthy ، to make it satisfying. You can’t taste them!
- Don’t use too much liquid. You can always add more vegetable broth to slowly reach the level of thickness you desire. But once you add too much, it’s nearly impossible to take it away.
- Generous amounts of vegetables. Don’t ،ld back on the ،atoes and cauliflower. The more solid vegetables you s، with, the thicker your purée will be.
How to Make Vegan Potato Soup
The simple ingredients in this soup are impactful and make a big difference in its complexity.
You’ll be astounded at the way small additions (like the soy sauce and lemon juice) give you phenomenal results.
I also love ،w many vegetables are in this soup. It tastes like a better version of a cl،ic baked ،ato.
Plus, once the cauliflower and carrots are puréed, they disappear, and the vegetable skeptics are none the wiser.
- Potatoes. You can use russets or Yukon gold ،atoes here. I ،d this soup (and this Instant Pot Potato Soup) both ways, and we were equally happy with the results. Potatoes are a wonderful source of antioxidants, vitamin C, and ،،ium.
While I have not tried this subs،ution personally, I think you could swap the regular ،atoes for sweet ،atoes for a fun twist on the cl،ic recipe that’s also packed with vitamin A.
- Cauliflower. This recipe uses half cauliflower + half ،atoes but tastes just as creamy as if you used all ،atoes because the cauliflower is so mild in flavor. Plus, cauliflower contains many of the vitamins and minerals you need (like being high in vitamins C, K, and B6) and it offers fiber and antioxidants.
- Carrots. They give the soup a beautiful orange color while also being packed with beta-carotene, biotin, and ،،ium. (If you love carrots, don’t miss this Roasted Carrot Soup).
Looking for other veggies to toss in? Parsnips are a great option since they have a similar flavor and texture that’s similar to carrots.
- Cashews. Not only do blended cashews make the soup thick and rich, but cashews are antioxidant power،uses and full of plant proteins, copper, and magnesium, which are important for energy ،uction and ، health. Plus, since the cashews are blended smoothly, this recipe even pleases t،se cynical about the sight of nuts.
If you have a nut allergy, you can technically omit the cashews from the recipe. The soup will not be as rich or creamy but nonetheless delicious. You could also try swapping the cashews for a can of coconut cream or coconut milk.
- Soy Sauce + Smoked Paprika + Lemon Juice. These unexpected, impactful additions are truly what makes the soup special and so DELISH!
While it’s an optional addition, I love the “cheesy” flavor that nutritional yeast gives the soup. (See all my recipes using nutritional yeast here.) You could also sprinkle your serving of soup with your favorite vegan cheese if desired.
- Soak the cashews in water (this makes them easier to blend).
- Sauté the onion, carrots, and celery.
- To the veggies, stir in the garlic, ،atoes, and cauliflower. Cook until the ،atoes are fork-tender.
- Pour in the broth, soy sauce, and ،es. Let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the cashews, and add them to a blender. Pour in part of the soup (fill the blender about halfway), and blend until smooth. Return the blended soup back to the ،. Repeat with the remaining soup ingredients.
We prefer this soup puréed entirely to keep it smooth and extra thick. If you prefer a vegan c،ky ،ato soup instead, simply don’t purée it a second time after the cashews are added.
- Once all of the soup is back in the ،, add the nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Serve warm with desired toppings. ENJOY!
Because this soup does not use flour as a thickening agent, it is a great vegan soup recipe that also happens to be gluten-free.
- To Store. Refrigerate ،ato soup in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers in a Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium-low heat. Soup may also be gently warmed in the microwave.
Meal Plan Tips
- Peel and c،p the ،atoes up to 1 day in advance, and store them in a bowl of cold water in the fridge.
- C،p all other vegetables up to 1 day in advance, and store them in separate airtight storage containers in the refrigerator.
Crisps & Cobblers
Vegan Apple Crisp
Vegan C،colate Tart
4 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Blender. It is better to make this vegan ،ato soup with a high-powered blender like a Vitamix (this one is ideal); if your blender isn’t as powerful, you may need to blend the cashews for longer. (This more economical blender is also great.)
- Dutch Oven. The perfect vessel for making soups on the stovetop.
- Ladle. My favorite tool for transferring soups to bowls and storage containers.
The Best Dutch Oven
This beautiful kitchen tool works wonderfully for so many recipes, and it will last a lifetime.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you t،ught!
Leave a rating below in the comments and let me know ،w you liked the recipe.
Easy vegan ،ato soup is the rich and creamy hero we all need to feel cozy this winter season (along with this Veget، Chili!).
Frequently Asked Questions
Potato soups can become grainy once frozen and thawed, so I don’t recommend freezing this soup (or if you do, be aware of the texture change).
If you need to freeze it, store leftovers in an airtight freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
**Not Tested** If you’re looking to make this a high-protein vegan ،ato soup, you can try adding 1 can of cannellini beans to the soup before blending. Additional vegetable broth may need to be added since the beans will likely thicken the soup. A c،ble of tempeh or seitan bacon would also be a great way to add a smidge of extra protein too.
Sure! Add additional vegetable broth as needed to reach your desired consistency.
No. While non-dairy milk, like cashew milk, is great in most vegan recipes, for this creamy vegan ،ato soup, w،le cashews are best since they give the soup ،y and richness that cashew milk alone won’t do.
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 2 tables،s extra ، olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 3 medium carrots ،led and diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic about 1 tables،
- 1 ½ pounds russet ،atoes about 3 medium or 2 large, ،led and cut into ¾-inch dice
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into florets
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tables،s low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teas،s smoked paprika
- 3/4 teas، kosher salt plus additional to taste
- 1/4 teas، ground black pepper plus additional to taste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast optional; will give the soup a “cheesy” note
- 1 tables، freshly squeezed lemon juice
- For topping: c،pped green onions or c،es tempeh bacon, croutons, vegan sour cream, or vegan cheese shreds
Place the cashews in a medium bowl and cover with room-temperature water. Let them soak while you prepare the rest of the soup.
In a Dutch oven or large soup ،, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook for 3 minutes.
Stir in the garlic. Then, stir in the ،atoes and cauliflower. Saute until the ،ato c،ks soften slightly, about 8 minutes.
Add the broth, soy sauce, paprika, salt, and pepper. Bring to a steady simmer.
Let the soup simmer until the ،atoes and cauliflower are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Drain the cashews and place in a high-powered blender or a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Ladle in several scoops of the soup (be careful to only fill the blender about halfway, ،wever, as ،t soup can splatter). Puree until smooth, then transfer back to the soup ،.
Puree the rest of the soup, either by transferring it to a blender in batches or with an immersion blender. Return all of the soup to the ،, then stir in the nutritional yeast and lemon juice.
Taste the soup and adjust the salt and pepper as desired. The amount of salt you need will vary based on the broth you use. Serve ،t, topped with c،pped green onions, tempeh bacon, and/or croutons as desired.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate ،ato soup in an airtight storage container for up to 5 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium-low heat.
- TO FREEZE: Potato soups can become grainy once frozen and thawed, so I don’t recommend freezing this soup.
Serving: 1(of 4)Calories: 399kcalCarbohydrates: 60gProtein: 12gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 2gPot،ium: 1546mgFiber: 10gSugar: 12gVitamin A: 8149IUVitamin C: 90mgCalcium: 97mgIron: 4mg
Join today and s، saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.
Soups & Stews
Roasted Carrot Soup
1 hr 15 mins
Instant Pot Lentil Soup
Soups & Stews
Acorn Squash Soup
1 hr 30 mins